White mortar.... suggested mixes

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I've just laid some white paving and am looking to fill the joints (~7/8" wide) with whitish mortar. However I'm having difficultly locating white sand anywhere. b&q list it but in reality no stores stock it. I tried a mix of white cement (snowcrete) and sand 1:1, but my builders sand is almost red and so the result is yellow.

Is there any alternative way to get white mortar that I'm missing? I've heard of cement dyes, but is it possible to turn a mix of red builders sand to white with a dye?

Sponsored Links
A light yellow sand and white cement will be as near as you can get

Ok, think I've nailed it. Wickes sell it as "Paving Sand", also known as Silver or Gardening sand but other merchants.

Sponsored Links
Robin,
I noted (or presume) that you got your Builders Sand from B&Q.

Just for coment, at my local B&Q the Builders Sand is 'Red' (Left Bag) and at my local Wickes the Builders Sand is 'Yellow' (Right Bag). I understand that this is due to regional differences.

But if you are off to Wikes you might want to see what colour the Builders Sand is there and compare it with their Paving Sand.
sfk

s_Buliders Sand.jpg

Ok, you've caught me out. When I said my builder's sand "is almost red", it's actually much closer to your wickes sand than the stuff on the left. I had no idea sand came such a deep shade of red!

Robin, "I had no idea sand came such a deep shade of red!"
Neither did I until I bought this from B&Q in a rush as needed one last bag to finish my DIY at 3:45 on Sunday, and did not notice the colour change until too late.
I'm now still swearing at some pointing that is redder than the other, and have half a bag of bright red sand that I keep meaning to get rid of. :>
SFK

Mix ratio 1:1 is a bit strong ! 3:1 is better

Ok, I've since learnt that paving sand is washed sharp sand, whereas silver sand is whiter to start with (~pure silica sand). A local merchant sells silver sand and lime so I'm thinking a 1:1:2 snowcrete:lime:silver sand mix, or even 1:1:3

Job done. Wickes kiln dried paving sand is just over £5 a bag but when mixed with snowcrete 3:1 gives a light cream colour. Perfect for what I wanted

Attachments

• IMG_4238.JPG
    IMG_4238.JPG
    102 KB · Views: 1,405
Robin,
Thanks for update - always good to know what works for future use.
Looks good, SFK

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back