Sand coloured mortar mix

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Ladies and Gentlemen , any idea how I can get this mixture ?
White cement and builder's sand?
Cement dye?
Lime and buidler's sand?

I have 2 bags of Blue Circle Mastercrete Cement at home.

Autumn-Leaves-brick-slip-Sand-mortar.jpg

Whitby-Red-brick-slips-Light-Sand-mortar.jpg

Cement-Mortar-Concrete

Sponsored Links
Experimenting needed, but start with yellow rather than red (more common) building sand

Experimenting needed, but start with yellow rather than red (more common) building sand

Can I use my Mastercrete grey cement ?

I would prefer not go to B&Q and drag a 25kg Snowcrete cement bag.

Sponsored Links
Just looks like a fairly typical yellow building sand mix to me, don’t think you need white cement
Soft and building sand same thing round here

Ladies and Gentlemen , any idea how I can get this mixture ?
White cement and builder's sand?
Cement dye?
Lime and buidler's sand?

I have 2 bags of Blue Circle Mastercrete Cement at home.

Autumn-Leaves-brick-slip-Sand-mortar.jpg

Whitby-Red-brick-slips-Light-Sand-mortar.jpg

Cement-Mortar-Concrete
Are those photos from the real world? They look nice and clean. You'll need to live under a dome or something, after finding the nearest bricklayer in the world.

Thanks for the suggestions but this has not worked!

I have bought Play sand and mixed it with my cement but the mixture is still grey!

What I have and want :
20200916-190240.jpg

What the current mixture looks like :

20200916-190304.jpg

?!
Who suggested play sand?
Did you buy yellow building sand?
And what were you trying to do, render it?
And the latest pic of what you say you want, isn’t that yellow colour, it’s standard grey looking mortar.
What’s the actual question, how to get a specific yellow mortar colour or how to point brickwork without smearing it all over the face?

to get yellow mortar you’ll have to use yellow dye.
the results don’t look like you do much brickwork. concentrate on laying the bricks , forget about pointing until the brickwork has pulled the majority of moisture out of the cement.

I couldn't find builder's sand nearby ( out of stock ) so I had to go for play sand as it seems to be nearly the same thing.
My question remains - how do I get the sand coloured shade in between the bricks.

To put into context, the builder in the past did that bricklaying and the mortar is not level with the bricks. Hence, there are cracks , some mortar has broken off while rest have ants setting up nests!

I ended up using yesterday's mortar mix at the bottom , where the wall meets the floor tiles. The picture is before the mortar dried and before I cleaned up.

Are you trying to match the picture in your first post (yellow sand mix) or the grey mortar colour (red sand, the normal building sand you buy) in your last post?
Don’t use the kiln dried (play) sand.

Are you trying to match the picture in your first post (yellow sand mix) or the grey mortar colour (red sand, the normal building sand you buy) in your last post?
Don’t use the kiln dried (play) sand.

The one in my last post, Sir.
I think the camera does not correctly capture the actual colour. But, it looks sand coloured.

20200916-190240.jpg

You need an iPhone then ;)
The only way to match the colour is trial and error. I’d buy at least a bag of normal building sand and go from there. yellow building sand, which may be slightly harder to get, will give you a lighter more yellow colour. But it also depends on things like how porous the bricks are, so you’ve really gotta do small test trial patches.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back