Can't get my new rads to work...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Any advice greatly apprecited.

I added two new radiators to my central heating system but cant get them to work.

Firstlty the set up is like this:

//media.diynot.com/14000_13165_30381_66365221_thumb.jpg
[GALLERY=media, 30381][/GALLERY]

I bled the air and the new runs of pipework are all full of water. The pipes get progressively cooler as the they run along the roof void and are cold by the time they drop into the rooms with the new rads. I've fully opened all the valves on the rads but cant seem to get the water to flow.

All of my joints are made in simple "t" or ninety degree fittings. (I've replaced the drain plug but its not shown on the diagram)

Sponsored Links
Read the FAQs on balancing.

If that doesn't help you may have airlocks in the high level pipework so shut off the other rads to force water through and clear them.

I assume the pump is contained within your boiler? If not, the way you've plumbed those radiators in is never going to work, as it relies solely on the head generated by the resistance of the heat exchanger in the boiler to get anything to flow.

Otherwise, the suggestions above seem good!

I assume the pump is contained within your boiler? If not, the way you've plumbed those radiators in is never going to work, as it relies solely on the head generated by the resistance of the heat exchanger in the boiler to get anything to flow.

Do yourself a favour and stick to electronics.

Yet more garbage advice :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
turn them all off and then start turning the new ones on until they get hot, go round the rest of the house and gradually do the same

Have you lagged the pipes in the loft, too? I am not saying that would be the sole cause of the problem, but at this time of the year you would be losing heat up there.

as been said..

boiler model.
how many rads.
try turning off all other rads to see if new rads heat up
if they do, try balancing
also what pump speed.

Read the FAQs on balancing.

If that doesn't help you may have airlocks in the high level pipework so shut off the other rads to force water through and clear them.

Thanks for all the input guys I've been through the balancing procedure to no avail, I guessed that if my problem wasn't with my pipework it might be an airlock but given that there appears to be water in all of my new pipework it didnt seem likely> i'm half way through a bottle of Sancerre at the moment (tescos special offer) so I'll look up the other questions re boiler type etc tom if thats ok.

Hopefully have the thing up and running by Sunday Mass!

Cheers enjoy your sat evening chaps.

Welski

Have you lagged the pipes in the loft, too? I am not saying that would be the sole cause of the problem, but at this time of the year you would be losing heat up there.

I haven't yet but thanks for prompting me. I've recently redone the roof and the void the pipework runs through is "well ventilated" so basically my hot pipes are doing nothing more than warming passing planes.

job for tom
cheers WB

did it ever occur to you that the littlle rad was on the end of the system and the pipes feeding it were sufficient for that radiator.
Any new rads to make sure they work should be taken back to the core of the system on the larger pipework.

A good analogy would be trying to hang logs of a twig on a tree just aint gonna work is it.

Do yourself a favour and stick to electronics.

Yet more garbage advice :rolleyes:

Oh, the irony. Well done on a very useful post, Gasguru :)

If the OPs system consists of a heat-only boiler with an external pump in an airing cupboard or similar location, how well do you think the layout in the OPs diagram, taking radiator feed and returns from before the pump and across the boiler's heat exchanger, is likely to work?

If you read the initial post and actually took the time to look at the diagram, you will see the OP mentions only two new rads. This would bring me to assume that the rectangular object on the far left of the diagram is supposed to represent the boiler.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back