Can't get the beads to click in

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all. I've replaced a tiny 30cm window that is under the stairs and opens into the alley way. It needed to be done urgently because the plasterer wants to plaster upto it next week, so the window company supplied the window for me to install myself saying they can't do an urgent install. No problem, I installed a couple of windows before back in the day.

All went well and the window is straight and solid. But I can't install the glass. The double glazed pane goes in and then these plastic beads with a rubber seal click in place to hold the glass in. No amount of pushing is getting the beads to click in place!

When the window company did my other windows they hammered in the beads with a soft hammer, but that's not working for me. I applied some silicone lube to help them go in but still not happening.

I've asked the window company to pop round when they're in the area to do it but god knows when they will do that and would be nice to have the glass in earlier. But at least the plasterer can do his work now.

Photo below is my home office window but the bead is exactly the same, it was done by the same company that supplied the new window.

2015_11_07_07_24_25.jpg

Sponsored Links
1st make sure the glass is pushed right out, Give it a bit of a thump with your hand if needed.
Always start with the shortest beads
Lube is good, I use a bit of glass cleaner in both the grove and along the glass where the rubber sits.
Hold the bead firmly it place with 1 hand and tap it down with your hammer, Start in the corners and work along.

Not used any lube before, offer in one corner and tap to lock then work along.As Gazman said. Needs perseverance especially first time with short lengths.

short beads we've bent before putting them in ..... also try warming up with hairdryer , might make it more flexible

Sponsored Links
short beads we've bent before putting them in ..... also try warming up with hairdryer , might make it more flexible
Yep I'm wondering if the problem is because they are so short. The window company said they can come round today as they have someone in the area so hopefully they can manage it. Otherwise I'll try warming with heat gun and follow all the tips I've had here.

Thanks!

Cut some slots into the back of the bead, be careful not to nick the front of the bead which can be seen.
Hopefully the unit is toughened

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back