Can't lift Domestic Manhole Cover

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi - Manhole cover is as in picture attached.
I lift another similar one in another part of my garage fairly easily. but this one - I've now scrapped all around edges and just done WD40.
I hook the back of a hammer in the handle and lift (deadlift style), but there is just no give, no movement at all.

What else can I do?
I am also worried about breaking the handle.

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2022-06-13 at 9.41.22 AM.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2022-06-13 at 9.41.22 AM.jpeg
    323.7 KB · Views: 109
Sponsored Links
Probably rust. When you have your hammer in the handle and are applying pressure to lift it, get another hammer and bash the granny out of it all around the edges to loosen the grip.

Or put a piece of wood in the centre and start banging that with a sledge hammer so you get some vibrations of the top which may loosen the edge fittings as opposed to knocking the edge fixings further in

You might be able to knock an old screw driver into the joint between the frame and cover all the way around to loosen it, then try some more oil.
When you run out of ideas the last resort is to cut out the frame. Remember to grease it up next time.

Sponsored Links
manhole cover lift.jpg

Exert the lifting force while tapping ( hammering ) around the edges, Be aware the the end of the lever will move rapidly upwards when ( if ) the cover comes loose.

If the lever is a springy beam then lift the end of the beam until there is lot of lift force on the cover. Then wedge to end of the beam at that height on blocks to maintain the force while tapping the edges. Doing it this way this means the end of the beam will not ( probably not ) fly up and hit you when the cover comes loose.

hi everyone. i just broke the handle on one side... i've only got one more chance on the opposite side.

You might end up breaking the concrete out around the frame and getting the frame and cover out.

Seeing as it's internal it and there don't seem to be any screws it could have actually been sealed with something eg silicone or whatever.

Handles snap on those with the slightest effort, they're poor quality sadly. Only option would to be, chisel round the edge between cover and frame in an attempt to loosen it, cover may then come out. Worst case scenario, you'll have to destroy cover and/or frame to get the cover out then replace both as required.

Might be wise to spend a bit more money on a better quality cover and frame at the same time, for future needs.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back