Recessed Manhole cover problems

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have a front path that goes around to side of the house, and some a patio team that I hired turned out to be caravan dwellers ( at least spiritually if not in real life) they laid riven sandstone with a 4mm per meter fall/drop? and there was a need for a recessed manhole cover at the side of the property. It was laid and left for a while, But there was another manhole cover that I want to drop by one course of bricks, and remembered the celotex that was stopping stuff from falling in when the manhole was laid, so I hoped to reuse that as I correctly figured they were to lasy to take it out once path was done.
Now the cover would not come up with ordinary pulling, so I used one of those long bars with a small round flat at one end and a flat blade at the other end, it did lift, but with a loud noise while each end came free, when I lifted it out I found that the surround (plastic) had broken in a small patch where the handles go, it has also broken the big o-ring around the edge.

Is this repairable, or do I have to by a new cover to get a surround that works. I am guessing that they let some cement down the handle holes, but why did that stick fast to the plastic?

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back