Ownership of Manhole Cover

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I recently had my drive re-laid with block paving and needed to replace an iron manhole cover, which was cracked and obviously dangerous for our cars driving over it. Approximately one third of the manhole and cover is within my neighbour’s boundary. My builder fitted a new cover that the blocks sit in and offered to match my neighbour’s side with the same blocks that they have. They refused and he offered them another option, which they also refused. They asked him to cut the black handle and he said that if he did that, it would be difficult to lift it out if needed. Because they were being so difficult and unreasonable, I told the builder to fill their portion with cement though their railings because they were threatening to call the Police if he went onto their property. They also contacted our local councils Anti-Social behaviour Office to complain (which was a first for them) and are threatening legal action... Not that I’m too bothered but would anybody know if there are any regulations regarding this situation?

Sponsored Links
If its a private drain then it's shared maintenance and not necessarily ownership (unless ownership is specifically mentioned in one of your title deeds).

If its a public sewer, then it belongs to the water authority

Its all down to common sense and reasonableness, and either of you would be entitled to replace it.

There are access rights implied in various property law, and its not a Police matter - they have no authority in these situations.

Cut the thing on the boundary, fit the whole of your cover on you side and leave the neighbours side open.

Thanks for the quick reply and information info Woody it is appreciated!!

I don't think my neighbours are blessed with any common sense :rolleyes:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back