Cant turn TRV

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all Happy new year

I turned off (all the way to 0 ) my TRV and im embarrassed to say I now know i shouldn't as it states in the FAQ.

However I now cant turn it back on, im very sure Im turning it the right way but i simply cant turn it.

Therefore the rad is now not on I tried to take off the TRV and access the pin but on the older TRV's I had you still could turn the dial this one is simply jammed and as i don't really know what im doing so i've decided to seek advice 1st and would be very grateful if someone could help me out

Many Thanks

PS I dont have a exact picture/model (part number) at the moment but it looks a bit like the one in the picture ive uploaded

Sponsored Links
I turned off (all the way to 0 ) my TRV and I'm embarrassed to say I now know I shouldn't as it states in the FAQ.

However I now can't turn it back on, I'm very sure I'm turning it the right way but I simply can't turn it.
The problem with leaving a TRV closed for a long time is that the valve pin sticks down so that, when you open the valve by turning the knob, the valve still stays closed. However, from what you write, the problem is that you cannot turn the knob. Is this correct?

If your valve is numbered as in the one in your picture, you turn the knob anti-clockwise (looking down on the valve) to open the valve.

You can remove the valve head by undoing the large knurled nut below the black ring (turn anti clockwise) - no water will come out.

Hi Thanks for your reply

The Rad was on as the room was getting VERY warm and we where putting up furniture - so I turned it off (0) to allow the room to cool down.

I didnt know that your not supposed to (ive now read through the FAQ's on this great site) and now i cannot turn the TRV to put the RAD back on its simply jammed stuck. im concerned that ive broken it :oops: :oops:

Im trying to turn it Anti-clockwise as with the other TRV's in the house but you cannot see the other values on the TRV (only the one you have selected) as they are hidden by a plastic coller - its simply jammed and will not turn

is there anything i can do?

I really apriciate any advice

Thanks

Has a plastic pin been inserted into one of the holes around the TRV, these are used to stop children in the house messing with all the TRV settings, by chance one might have been put in?

If not then I'm guessing it has seized up, turn the metal part to undo the head of the TRV from the valve and get some WD40 on there.

Sponsored Links
using the silver knurled ring under the plastic head, undo this and remove the head.

Check the pin is free to travel and inspect why the head will not turn/

Looks like a Siemens TRV, very good valves, but only about £6 or £7 pounds if you need to replace the head.

Thanks ill have a look

if not have i broken it? before i had these replaced the older ones would simply stick closed but the head/selecter of the TRV would still turn so i would knock the pin and it would be fine, but im worried becasue i cannot turn the TRV its self

Thanks

i'm not sure freeing the valve will solve the prob, as stated if the valve is off for a while the pin will stick but the head will turn, so it sounds as if the head itself has jammed, perhaps it requires some reasonable force to turn it back from 0 to 1, you are perhaps being too gentle with it, as you are using the force you would normally use to turn it from 1-5, go on get a grip of it and give it some welly!! :LOL:

Thanks everyone for the replies and advice

I managed to get the TRV Head off, and its a "DRAYTON RT212" i got this of the internet as I dont have any documentation with these or the boxes that they came in when my plumber installled them about a year ago)

Please see the Images I have attached (sorry not good quality)

The pin on the RAD came back up and now hot water is flowing through - however the head on the TRV itself is simply jammed shut and no mount of trying to turn it will work - is it cream crackered, and how did just simply turning it off break it

thanks

could it be jammed between the surfaces with dirt or something? the clearance looks tight, try spraying with silicone spray or even try immersing in water, if it doesnt fix it will be going in the bin, my suggestion of brute force was to no avail then, sorry!!

these can go very tight!!! Try some WD40 down round the join where the number '0' is and all the way round, leave to soak overnight, then some brute force!!

Hi all

LOL I tried brute force until i nearly burst a blood vessel it just would not shift but ill try the other suggestions and report back :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back