How d'ya turn off a TRV

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to replace a rad and there is a Honeywell TRV at one end.

How do I turn it off so that all the water in my heating sys won't leak onto my bedroom floor !!

If I turn the TRV to '0' does that mean it is fully off regardless of temperature.

Many thanks.

Sponsored Links
you need to remove the top section of the valve. usually a ring that will screw down to allow the TRv body to be removed, then you need to screw on a big blue cap, a bit like a coke bottle top to shut of the vale completely. You might habve the blue cap laying around in a drawer. failing that go to a plmubers merchant and buy one. or burrow one from a friend/relative/neighbour who has the same sort of TRV

Sorry forgot to mention. setting to 0 will not fully shut the valve safely enough that you can remove the radiator for any length of time, as young children like to play with radiator valves.

Teahead said:
you need to remove the top section of the valve. usually a ring that will screw down to allow the TRv body to be removed, then you need to screw on a big blue cap, a bit like a coke bottle top to shut of the vale completely. You might habve the blue cap laying around in a drawer. failing that go to a plmubers merchant and buy one. or burrow one from a friend/relative/neighbour who has the same sort of TRV

Sorry forgot to mention. setting to 0 will not fully shut the valve safely enough that you can remove the radiator for any length of time, as young children like to play with radiator valves.

eh? :confused:

just turn it to zero and tell everyone to not touch it.....job done

Sponsored Links
Once the rad is off for extra safety put a 1/2" cap on the T.R.V, just in case :)

Some TRV's only turn back as far as the anti frost sign *, these types of valve heads have one or two little plastic pegs in them, you will have to pop these out to turn too zero.

Depends on the honeywell trv.
Some turn off off off, some turn off until cool.
And some will leak anyway.

Remove head, lay something like 4 x 5p coins on the pin, replace head and turn as low as... then a bit more.

Then put a poxi cap on!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back