cant undo lockshield valve nut

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
As above really. I am removing a rad , following the instructions found on this site. However , even though i have successfully drained the rad , I cant remove the lockshield nut to enable removal of the rad. It is twisting the copper pipe (return pipe?) that is attached to it and obviously i am worried it will fracture and flood my kitchen :(

Any ideas please?

btw , the rad will be replaced , so killing it isn't an issue

Sponsored Links
webradvalve.jpg

Do you mean that nut? :confused: :confused:

Sponsored Links
Maybe I should have mentioned that.

I have tried to secure it with a large pair of mole grips , but the force required to turn it is greater than I can hold the thing still. I'm a big lad , so its not as if i aint giving it enough waft!

can you not just saw it off with a junior hack saw?

David

Ive never had to actually do it on rad valves but if you apply HEAT i.e from a blow lamp then it should come undone pretty easy.

Also get a couple of decent pairs of pump pliers. mole grips are wack!

604452_front200.jpg

Are you trying to undo the nut in the correct direction? With the spanner vertical above the nut, you pull away from the wall. However, if you start with the spanner horizontal and press down it puts less strain on the vertical pipe.

A very sharp tap with a hammer, on the other end of the spanner, will usually loosen a reluctant nut.

Many thanks fella's. Managed to sort it with an extra pair of hands on the mole grips :D

long-handled stilsons or large adjustable spanner, gripping the valve body, should hold it

moles are too short to have much leverage.

There is a tool specifically designed to enable you to apply a counter rotational force to the radiator valve body when you try to, undo/do up, the nut.

It is about eight inches long and has slots at right angles to the length, one slot at either end.
One slot is larger the other other.
I am sure some one will post up a picture of the said item.

Tim

However, if you start with the spanner horizontal and press down it puts less strain on the vertical pipe.
Interesting take on the laws of physics. Nonsense, in fact.

A very sharp tap with a hammer, on the other end of the spanner, will usually loosen a reluctant nut.
...or fracture a thin pipe wall.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back