cantilever hip-end roof?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I've been searching online to find out how to cantilever a hip-end roof over the wallhead of an extension. I've found the following link which provides a section through a cantilevered hip-end roof:

http://www.ebossnow.co.nz/2010/kurt-van-leeuwen/cantilevered-trusses.html

However I'm not sure how the diagonal hip rafter would sit on the wallhead. Is it okay to join the hip rafter to the top of a diagonally positioned ceiling joist as opposed to notching it into a wall plate?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Mick.

Sponsored Links
Sorry if this is way off but i'm not really understanding what your asking.

The hip should be run from the ridge board and bird mouthed over the wall plate. Any thing inside to make your celling rite would have to be made up.
Hope this helps ricke

That image linked to shows a truss - which has been designed to perform in a certain way

The rest of your post seems to relate to a traditional roof construction which would be different

Sponsored Links
If you want a hip end to overhang way beyond the structure that it is covering then you need to birds-mouth in a low end purlin instead of a wall plate.

You will still however need to support this purlin, either with a cladded metal post, a solid wood post a brick pillar or some gallows.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back