Capping chimney

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Afternoon all,

I have recently made a post regarding condensation in the loft, but now believe that to be a very separate question to the following, so hopefully get a more specific answer here regarding my chimney.

I recently had a 2 x chimneys capped, unfortunately I have since found out it was potentially done wrong.

They were firstly boarded off inside the house, and then paving slab cemented on top. I did ask about vents being fitted but was informed they are not needed.

After reading further is it right that vents should be fitted inside the house and at the top?

I have plans to fit a Positive Input Ventilation system in my loft to help combat internal moisture (had this in last house and rate them) but I am unsure if having active vents inside the house, would make this pointless.

Thank you.

Sponsored Links
Is the vent on an internal or external wall?
Proper way as you know is to vent redundant flues top and bottom...

Sponsored Links
More chance of problems with flues on external walls.
You can retro fit any vents if a problem arises. Unlikely in my experience.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back