Capping off an old gas metre

Thanks, I will phone the Gas Board in the morning and ask them to do it instead.

Sponsored Links
All the pipework up to the meter, and the meter regulator, isolation valve, and meter are the property of and responsibility of the gas network/supplier.

You may not remove any cap on the gas meter, nor may you re-site the gas meter. The gas meter may not be moved by anyone other than your gas supplier's agent.

A registered gas installer may connect to or disconnect from the meter, but is not permitted to re-site it.
wow so few post and great knowledge if i never knew any better i would swear youve been here before.

but defo he is right

I was here before, but several years ago....

I've spent a lot of years fitting, servicing and fault finding gas installations, domestic, commercial, and industrial, and I've seen a lot of very dangerous things done by well-meaning people who thought they could do it themselves, but didn't know quite enough.
I've seen a house that rained down in little pieces, because someone thought they could do the gaswork themselves.
And I've seen the bodies taken out of a house where someone fitted a gas fire without knowing how to check the flue.

That's why I quoted the regulations too. Bell284, you know what I'm saying. The requirement to do it right, with the proper knowledge isn't a scam to make gas fitters rich. It's there to keep people safe. Long may that remain so.

I was here before, but several years ago....

I've spent a lot of years fitting, servicing and fault finding gas installations, domestic, commercial, and industrial, and I've seen a lot of very dangerous things done by well-meaning people who thought they could do it themselves, but didn't know quite enough.
I've seen a house that rained down in little pieces, because someone thought they could do the gaswork themselves.
And I've seen the bodies taken out of a house where someone fitted a gas fire without knowing how to check the flue.

That's why I quoted the regulations too. Bell284, you know what I'm saying. The requirement to do it right, with the proper knowledge isn't a scam to make gas fitters rich. It's there to keep people safe. Long may that remain so.

You should crawl back under your stone :p :p

Sponsored Links
You don't need an picture of an internal cap if you are an RGI so shouldn't offer advice on what you know little about.

A cap is external, a plug is internal, you can use blanking discs with gas metres. I was just trying to get clarification as to what had been fitted. Not necessarily for myself. I would not DREEEEAAAAAMMM of offering advice when it came to anything to do with gas!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back