Capping on parapet wall to cover external insulation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I am in the process of finalising a quote for external insulation of the solid brick gable end wall of my 1920’s end of terrace house, and have a question about how to deal with the capping along the top.

I have a parapet wall on the gable end wall, and at the moment it is capped with angled ridge tiles bedded in mortar. This is the same detail used on all of the dividing party walls on this terrace. You should be able to see the detail using the google maps link below:

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place...2!3m1!1s0x48761c06fab98681:0xc4cb3544ac623187

The work will include around 100mm of insulation fixed to the gable end wall, which is then rendered over, giving a finished depth of nearly 130mm. The installer is proposing to put a capping profile along the top of the insulation to weatherproof it, and leave the original coping untouched. I think that this will look like a bodge and would prefer that the capping on the parapet wall is replaced with something that covers the insulation and looks less like an afterthought.

I am not sure whether this is possible or desirable though? The insulation would be unable to support anything heavy stones and so any coping would effectively be hanging over the insulation buy 130mm, plus any overhang to prevent backtracking.

Can anyone give advice on the best way to deal with this?

Most of the external wall insulation jobs I see, are on end walls where the roof overhangs the wall with enough eaves depth the cover the insulation.

Many thanks,

Nick

Sponsored Links
It sounds as though you need some sort of ally capping which could be powder coated to match the roof or wall colour

The insulation only needs to go as high as the eaves!

It will be easier to form a detail and marry into the chimney breast.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back