Capping rail or similar for gate

Example

Locally I doubt you will find cut lengths but you can use a hacksaw.

Drill the hole and it will not split, and it will do the clamping. A nut and penny washer clamps better than a woodscrew.

Long Bolts cost more

Though you may find better prices

Last edited:
Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Sponsored Links
Example

He will cut you a 120mm piece for £1.79

Though I still think two of M4 would do.

Locally I doubt you will find cut lengths but you can use a hacksaw.

Drill the hole and it will not split, and it will do the clamping. A nut and washer clamps better than a woodscrew.

Bolts cost more

I am not disagreeing with you but it might be difficult to drill (square) all of the way through unless the OP has a very, very long drill bit, or an offset attachment that means the drill body doesn't get in the way.

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Ah yes, I had forgotten about interference from the wall. My posts are bigger.

I've had a bash. It is ugly but it is working well: the split is closed and the bolt is now cleanly sitting in the socket. Thanks everyone.

I used a combination of the suggestions because of 1. the hardware I already had, and 2.the issue that I couldn't place a bolt at the top end of the hinge because it would get in the way of the door dropping into the hinge.

Therefore I glued and clamped, I put a carriage bolt through the lower part of the hinge, and replaced the top 30mm hinge screws with 80mm screws and put another one through the wood under the hinge.

Next the whole gate and frame needs filling and painting, but that can wait for another day

Attachments

• PXL_20230618_135633612.jpg
    PXL_20230618_135633612.jpg
    369.6 KB · Views: 41
  • PXL_20230618_135549905.jpg
    PXL_20230618_135549905.jpg
    384.9 KB · Views: 31
  • PXL_20230618_133517862.jpg
    PXL_20230618_133517862.jpg
    441.3 KB · Views: 40
Sponsored Links
Good work.

For little extra cost, and less effort, you can fit a new post next time. You will wish you had used stainless bolts.

(Edited) I like your bit of lead on the top to keep the rain out.

Good work.

For little extra cost, and less effort, you can fit a new post next time. You will wish you had used stainless bolts.

Tack a bit of DPC, or lead, or roofing felt to the top to keep the rain out.
In one of the images from post #5, there is lead, but it is not visible in any of the other photos.

Edit- sorry I was typing when @JohnD posted

Last edited:
In one of the images from post #5, there is lead, but it is not visible in any of the other photos.

I only noticed a few months back that the top of the horizontal rail is totally unpainted. It looks like there was previously another piece of timber or similar cap fixed across the top for protection , but no idea what happened to it.

As a temporary fix I have put some spare lead at both ends of the rail (protecting the joints which look a bit weathered). Come payday I will buy a roll of lead or lead replacement and fix it across the whole top.

I only noticed a few months back that the top of the horizontal rail is totally unpainted. It looks like there was previously another piece of timber or similar cap fixed across the top for protection , but no idea what happened to it.

As a temporary fix I have put some spare lead at both ends of the rail (protecting the joints which look a bit weathered). Come payday I will buy a roll of lead or lead replacement and fix it across the whole top.
Uvpc trim would be cheap option , available in grey .

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back