Driveway gates

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
This is probably a non starter, but me and the neighbour are looking at replacing the aging metal gates that span our shared driveway with something a bit more secure.

The gap is approx 16ft wide and so we're looking at a pair of gates around 8ft wide 6ft tall.

Pre-made timber gates are a bit out of our price range and neither of us really like the 'iron' ones our neighbours have.

I happen to have about 100 lengths of 2x1 (in 6-8 ft lengths, mostly 8ft) , smooth planed on one face (untreated) that I inherited from someones failed project, I was wondering if these might be of some use, with either a frame all round or across the back ?

I'm aware that there will be a fair bit of weight to support, am thinking along the lines of 6x6 posts with suitable hinges.

Does anyone have any suggestions of what might be possible? I'm fairly handy with my tools, but in no way a joiner (but not averse to taking my time and having a go!)

Cheers

Sponsored Links
No-one else has posted so I'll chip in....
You'll need pressure treated timber for the gates to last any time.
I'd go for wider posts really - 9"x9", sunk into concrete at a good depth, and the gates hung on substantial crooks and bands.
Consider a 'gate castor' (Toolstation 25081) that takes the weight of the gate as it opens.....but these only work if the opening ground is dead flat really - hence the comment regarding the large posts.
John :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back