Capping Water pipe outide advice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Good Friday afternoon all!

I am taking my garage down totally to be moved and extended, currently have water supply in there which is fed by blue plastic pipe, I need dis this up and cap it close to the house for the time being until im ready to re-fit into my garage.

Problem is I can turn water off as its not linked to meter in the house / or stop cock from what I can work out.

Whats my best way to cap this?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Are you sure its not linked somewhere to your house supply? Might be a daft question but have you tried to turn off your stopcock in your property and see if it stops? Have you tried the stop cock in the street? (usually on the path outside your property or just inside) Once you do figure out how to stop the supply to the garage it would be advisable to fit a stop cock to that so you can isolate the supply in future without affecting everything else.

See this page for advice on how to find/operate the street stop tap.
https://www.thameswater.co.uk/help-and-advice/bursts-and-leaks/leaks-at-your-property/how-to-turn-your-water-off-and-on/how-to-find-and-use-your-outside-stop-valve

You might need one of these for the external stop tap:
silverline-combination-stopcock-key-39632-p.jpg

Are you sure its not linked somewhere to your house supply? Might be a daft question but have you tried to turn off your stopcock in your property and see if it stops? Have you tried the stop cock in the street? (usually on the path outside your property or just inside) Once you do figure out how to stop the supply to the garage it would be advisable to fit a stop cock to that so you can isolate the supply in future without affecting everything else.

See this page for advice on how to find/operate the street stop tap.
https://www.thameswater.co.uk/help-and-advice/bursts-and-leaks/leaks-at-your-property/how-to-turn-your-water-off-and-on/how-to-find-and-use-your-outside-stop-valve

You might need one of these for the external stop tap:
silverline-combination-stopcock-key-39632-p.jpg

Couldn't locate the outside location last time, I may have another look for it.

I think my water comes from my house supply some how, my water meter is fitted in my utility room 5-10 cm above floor board level in the corner. when I use tap In the garage it doesn't register on the meter so im presuming its tee'd in somehow close to the house, its a plastic pipe so must me relatively new as the house is quite old and the garage was built with the house and would not have had a blue pipe originally im guessing.

If it i should be able to shut it off in the street making it easier to fit a cap on it? ill have a look later when im home

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Yeah the street tap should in theory cut it off in order for you to add a stop and cap it, however..... as you say this pipe isn't connected after your meter who knows how this was plumbed in. If your paying for water via that meter btw you could be technically stealing water, but if your paying a fixed fee then your possibly ok. But still advisable to get it fixed if you change to a metered rate and to avoid any issues down the line. You might also find you have an external meter at the stop tap but unlikely if you have a meter inside.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back