Car alarm - random trigger

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Our Peugeot 405 alarm goes off at odd times. No one's breaking into it, it just goes off, perhaps once or perhaps several times before giving up.

Does anyone know what the possible cause is, or is it just attention grabbing because it's bored?

Sponsored Links
its bored.

several things to look for
wiring may be intemitantly going to "earth" (does it have door switches?)

if it has ultrasonic movement sensor are the air vents left open? (you may be able to adjust its sensativity)

has a large vehicle driven past it (vibration form these can set them off)

It has door switches, but if they operated, the interior light should come on. I suppose there could be a high resistance earth connection.

Air vents, don't know if they stay open when the ignition is switched off. There are whirrings when the ign is switched on that sounds like flaps opening.

No other vehicles involved, happens in driveway at dead of night as well as when parked elswhere in quiet locations.

It's because it's a Peugot. The electrical system on all Peugot's is absolute rubbish. Which is a shame as they make some nice cars and Vans that are let down by this whole make problem.

Sponsored Links
Hmmm...... this sounds promising, can you be a little more explicit about where the problems are, and how they manifest themselves?

I have had a 304, three 305s bought from new, a 405 and an expert. The 305s were 12 years old when I got rid of them and the expert is 8 years old bought new. Apart from this 405 problem, I haven't had any other electrical problems.

Oilman, it seems it's a problem that began to show up about 4 or 5 years ago and is all connected to the engine management system. I know a contractor who had 26 Peugot Vans, all bar 4 had serious electrical faults within the first 18 months..he now has all VW vans!!

A couple of the vans, the problem was so bad they had to have the EMS ripped out and a new one installed.

I'm not sure if Peugot have now corrected this issue, apparently they bought the EMS's "off the shelf" from Fiat and retro-fitted them to their cars, and this was the source of the problem apparently..I was told this by a Peugot Main Agent Technician.

I'll be honest I have not heard anything specific to the Alarm/Immobiliser system, but a few of the vans did have issues in this direction, not sure if they were related.

The PMT that I spoke to advised that if I bought a Peugot (I considered a 206CC as a little runabout) then I should have the factory alarm disconnected by an Alarm Expert and have a Insurance Validated TOAD Alarm installed. He said the factory fitted units were rubbish and that they would not stop the car being stolen or even deter a theif!!

That's good, my 405 is 1996 vintage so it doesn't have an EMU, it's a reliable mechanical pump model.

there has also been anounced by Ford that new Transists have a "security problem" (cant go into details) but it means you can unlock the doors very easily, Ford will rectify this problem FOC.

Nice of them to let every one know isn't it

Remember the 1980's Fords with pneumatic C L systems?

A certain butchered spherical object could be used to trigger the locking....

there has also been anounced by Ford that new Transists have a "security problem" (cant go into details) but it means you can unlock the doors very easily, Ford will rectify this problem FOC

Er... what's this then? Couldn't be a case of hyjacking my thread could it?

I still want to find the answer to my 405 problem. The use of the word "also" makes no connection whatever with a 1996 Peugeot.

Oilman,

bear with me, but if you're at the end of your tether, you'll be willing to try anything I guess!

Make sure there are no 'bugs' in the car, creepy crawlies can cause false triggers!

Close air vents, may help prevent air movement within the car.

Park, the opposite way to normal (especially if you park on a slope).

Create a pentangle of salt around the car to ward off evil spirits!

Are you sure it is not being caused by a spotty teenager and his Vauxhall Nova equipped with a 1200 watt amp and subwoofer???

Failing that, ask a teenager to disable the alarm for you... :D

oilman said:
Er... what's this then? Couldn't be a case of hyjacking my thread could it?

I still want to find the answer to my 405 problem. The use of the word "also" makes no connection whatever with a 1996 Peugeot.

Ask nicely and you have more chance of getting the info you need.

Remember the 1980's Fords with pneumatic C L systems?

A certain butchered spherical object could be used to trigger the locking....

Not quite relevant.....

Ask nicely and you have more chance of getting the info you need.

I did, and some replies have been a genuine attempt to help, but what benefit is your butchered spherical object? It hasn't helped much, what have I missed in this subtle gem of wisdom? :confused:

Topics go off on a tangent every now and again, having an eppy won't help.

"Topics" don't DO anything. The writers might change the subject.

I assume you have no explanation for your "butchered spherical objects" then.

I hope you get as much help when you ask questions.

Sponsored Links
Back