1. Visiting from the US? Why not try DIYnot.US instead? Click here to continue to DIYnot.US.
    Dismiss Notice

Could you put a wireless PIR in your car?

Discussion in 'Alarms, CCTV & Telephones' started by britishboy7, 17 Jan 2016.

1. britishboy7

britishboy7

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Random I know, but could you put a home wireless PIR in your car on the drive, so that it activated your house alarm if anyone broke into your car? or would that not work?

Was thinking for the 2nd car that only goes out once every couple of weeks, it is alarmed but not a great alarm on it, just wondering if a wireless PIR for my Visonic Powermax would work just sat somewhere in the car, in one of the front footwells facing upwards for example?

2. Sponsored Links
  3. PrenticeBoyofDerry

PrenticeBoyofDerry

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    If you can have them remote in the garage/outhouses, I cannot see why they would not work in a vehicle parked on the driveway.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  4. bernardgreen

bernardgreen

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    It would be OK in a system which only has one way communication ( alarms from sensors to panel / siren ) but would present a problem in a system using two way communications where the panel routinely checks that all sensors are in good condition. When the car and its sensor were not at home the system's routine check of it's sensor would report a sensor failing to respond and thus an alarm indication would be raised.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  5. britishboy7

britishboy7

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Thanks Bernard, I thought that and as the car is only a 2nd use car, I would just remove it from the footwell (or wherever you guys think the best location in the car for it) and sit it in the house by the control panel (under the stairs) so the system does not think its 'lost' a sensor

6. bernardgreen

bernardgreen

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Buy a **** wireless alarm and the system won't care if the sensor is on the drive, on holiday in Bognor Regis or gone with the car to it's new owner.

7. OwainDIYer

OwainDIYer

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Check the power consumption - the PIR might drain the car battery. And PIRs might not be happy with the 14 volts or so from a car battery.

8. JohnD

JohnD

Thanks Received:
    Cook Islands
    Wireless PIRs commonly have no wires, and run on internal batteries, which commonly last for a couple of years.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Sponsored Links
  10. Twenty Four

Twenty Four

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    :D:D:D:D

11. ibruceuk

ibruceuk

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    I was thinking of doing this with my Galaxy for both our cars as I have a couple of spare wireless mags lying around and both cars have an 'alarm activated' output that I can wire through a relay to the reed switch. Obviously I would disable supervision on these so it shouldn't matter if they get moved out of range.

12. britishboy7

britishboy7

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    It was just a thought really, these scummy parasites who get into peoples cars probably think they're smart getting round a car alarm or unlocking it, but will hopefully run a mile if the house alarm starts screaming at them the moment the car door is opened

Would a wireless PIR detect someone walking past the car though? Through the glass?

13. sparkymarka

sparkymarka

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    No

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  14. OwainDIYer

OwainDIYer

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    I suppose you coul ddo it that way, yeah.

15. britishboy7

britishboy7

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Thanks all, I will give it a try. Can you set up the Visonic Powermax Complete to not routinely check 1 wireless PIR, even if 6 or 7 others are constantly checking back to the controller?

16. DIYnot Local

DIYnot Local

United Kingdom

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local