Car charger install, existing consumer unit?

The charger is a Zappi. Not sure if others can do the same thing. It can even be used on TT as Ze can go up to 200R.

:) Best check. I intended to get a hybrid but have worked on EV's in the past so have some idea of ideal range on battery. Lost interest as some don't even state it. Looks like longer range ones will be coming out at some point.

Sponsored Links
So called high integrity CU's make sense with this sort of arrangement as they have 2 ways without rcd protection.

I have 4 ways which are not rcd protected, one of which is spare so that would be possible.

I didnt know there were so many variables for this,

I have left a voicemail with my usual electrician see if he does them and what his advice is...

On a secondary note if my usual electrician can fit the chargers while he's inside the consumer unit would it be worth while changing the mcb on the smoke and doorbell for RCBO, as currently they don't have any rcd protection, or is it a waste of money

So called high integrity CU's make sense with this sort of arrangement as they have 2 ways without rcd protection.
They can have as many ways without RCD(RCCB) protection as is wanted.

Hi-integrity CUs have three Neutral bars.

Sponsored Links
would it be worth while changing the mcb on the smoke and doorbell for RCBO, as currently they don't have any rcd protection, or is it a waste of money
Not a question of money.

You might not notice an RCD has tripped on the smoke alarm circuit so would be unaware that it won't work - although in your case only until someone comes to the door.

We have nest protects which buzz warn you of power outage, the doorbell is on a separate mcb

A normal domestic RCD is type AC, you may find some type A, but most EV charging needs a type B RCD, so no normal consumer unit will have the RCD protection required for a EV charging point, in most cases the RCD is in the charging point not in the consumer unit.

A normal domestic RCD is type AC
Depends on the country and manufacturer to a large extent.

Many places have forbidden or discouraged the use of Type AC RCDs for many years. (Even decades in some instances!) Therefore many manufacturers always supply with Type A RCDs, whether that be an RCCB or an RCBO.

Depends on the country and manufacturer to a large extent.

Many places have forbidden or discouraged the use of Type AC RCDs for many years. (Even decades in some instances!) Therefore many manufacturers always supply with Type A RCDs, whether that be an RCCB or an RCBO.
But same applies car chargers need at least type B which are not standard fitting in UK consumer units, and at 50 amp plus neither are there MCB's large enough available for most UK consumer units, so 9 times out of 10 it needs henley blocks etc. So why would one need to change the consumer unit?

The charger is a Zappi. Not sure if others can do the same thing. It can even be used on TT as Ze can go up to 200R.

:) Best check. I intended to get a hybrid but have worked on EV's in the past so have some idea of ideal range on battery. Lost interest as some don't even state it. Looks like longer range ones will be coming out at some point.

The Zappi web site says that it has built in RCD protection. I'm sure that that would be the appropriate type!

https://myenergi.com/product/zappi/

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back