Changing a 16th edition CU

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've been asked to finish a job that was started a few years ago the only problem is when the job was started the 16th edition regs were in place, So the consumer units that were fitted at this time are also only up to 16th edition regs and so some of the circuits have no rcd protection. My idea now is to change some of the mcb's to rcbo's and move some onto the rcd side of the consumer unit. But what i'd like to no is how many can i put onto the rcd side and how many do i have to change to rcbo's. Obviously for the customers sake i'd like to keep the amount of rcbo's to a minimum because of the cost. There are 9 circuits in total but 6 different houses so it could get a bit expensive.

Sponsored Links
Need more info really. It will probably come down to how many spare ways you have on the RCD side and making sure that the ligting circuits are not all on the same RCD.

Assuming the lighting circuits are split up & down then a RCBO for one of the lighting circuits with the other on the RCD would suffice. But you also need to look at the socket outlet circuits and split these between RCD and RCBO appropriately.

I have upstairs/kitchen sockets and downstairs lights on RCBO's in my CU, with upstairs lights and living room sockets on the RCD. So I had to buy two RCBO's.

What would be the cost of putting in a new 17th edition consumer unit?

Need more info really. It will probably come down to how many spare ways you have on the RCD side and making sure that the ligting circuits are not all on the same RCD.

Assuming the lighting circuits are split up & down then a RCBO for one of the lighting circuits with the other on the RCD would suffice. But you also need to look at the socket outlet circuits and split these between RCD and RCBO appropriately.

I have upstairs/kitchen sockets and downstairs lights on RCBO's in my CU, with upstairs lights and living room sockets on the RCD. So I had to buy two RCBO's.

Thanks for the reply i understand what you mean.

I think they have 3 lighting circuits, 1 cooker, 3 rings, 1 smoke and 1 boiler circuit in the house so as long as i could put the say upstairs lights and downstairs rings on rcbo's then the rest would be ok to go on the rcd side?

What would be the cost of putting in a new 17th edition consumer unit?

This would be to costly as the 16th edition consumer units have already been fitted.

Sponsored Links
Yes i am and this is the response that i was expecting but as i'm still quite young and learning i was just looking for some advice.

edit: wrong thread

whatis the make of CU? it's highly likely you can get a "17th edition kit" for it that will split it up.
failing that can you not re-arrange the busbar bit to run the "non RCD" side of it through a second RCD?

bobsmate, are you a qualified electrician?

Yes i am and that is the answer i was expecting as that is what i would do if i were to install a 17th edition consumer unit but as i'm young and learning and like to have reassurance that what i am doing is correct then i come here instead of making a mistake. Also i like to hear other peoples ideas like coljack's

whatis the make of CU? it's highly likely you can get a "17th edition kit" for it that will split it up.
failing that can you not re-arrange the busbar bit to run the "non RCD" side of it through a second RCD?

I like your thinking on this one as i hadn't thought of it but wouldn't this be more expensive than buying 2 rcbo's.

If the job was designed and started under the 16th you can sign it off to 16th regs, can you not?

If you are putting a lighting circuit on RCD go for the upstairs to cover the bathroom.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back