Car Cigarette Lighter

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone,
I want to fit a 12v cigarette lighter socket to my Mobility Scooter, so I can use a 12v tyre inflator.
The battery fitted is 12v 34a. I intend cannecting 2 wires (20 AWG) to the battery at one end, whilst the other end is connected to a Female Quick Disconnect Terminal. This circuit will be a permanent fixture on the Scooter.
The cigarette lighter socket will have a fuse fitted between the socket and the end of the wire, which will have the Male Quick Disconnect Teminal. This circuit will be plugged in when using the inflator, then removed.
Can anyone tell me if this will work and give me any ideas on which wires, and terminals to use, and which fuse.
Thanks,
Aidee :?:

Sponsored Links
There is no reason why it shouldn't work, the only problem I can see is that the tyre inflater takes a few amps and could limit your range but if you don't go to far from home shouldn't be a problem.

Peter

Hi again everybody,
I have just received a reply from the inflator manufacturer. The unit draws 10 Amps.
AD

Sponsored Links
Should be fine then.

I would take two wires of the battery up to the socket, which you can mount where you like. I would also include a suitable fuse (say 15amps) in the +ve wire unless the wire runs are very short incase of a fault.

Daniel

Is there any mileage (no pun) in connecting your tyre inflator to the scooter charging port, using a suitable plug?
John :)

Burnerman,
My neighbour said the same thing, but I don't know how.
The Charger is a 12v 3a. If you can tell me how, I'll do it.
AD

Well aidee, there's a good chance that I've no idea what I'm talking about, but nothing new there then.... :p
My thinking......your external charger presumably plugs into the mains, and its output is 12v DC which charges up the scooter batteries fine.
It will have its own special plug for this, the socket of which will be on the scooter somewhere.
The amp output of the charger doesn't matter...the fewer the amps, the longer the charge time.
Anyway, the connections from that socket have to go straight to the battery - I can't see any need for fusing here or circuitry via the ignition switch etc.
So, assuming that the cables from socket to battery are of sufficient thickness (sure to be, really) the theory is you buy another plug (same as the one from the charger) and connect it to your tyre inflator.
Plug it in, and you're ready to go but the polarity is important.
Your homework - can you find another identical plug (Maplins, RS, even the manufacturer).....are the socket to battery cables capable of handling the current used by the inflator.....are there any fuses in that line?
Regards

John have absolutely no idea if there is, but there might be a series diode in the charging circuit of the bike which would effectively isolate this socket when not used for charging battery.

John have absolutely no idea if there is, but there might be a series diode in the charging circuit of the bike which would effectively isolate this socket when not used for charging battery.

Indeed Alan you are absolutely correct if that was the case - although I can't see the need for a blocking diode in this situation.
We'll see when aidee does his homework!

As said, it may be that the charge socket is just a two pole socket direct onto the batterys, with all the cleverness in the charger. However there could be diodes (if only to prevent reversed connection) or there could (i doubt) be a load of charge cicuitry on the buggy itself.

It also depends what the plug is, if its some obscure it might be easier fitting a fag lighter than finding a suitable plug to fit the existing socket!

Have you thought about just carrying a tin og tyre weld?

Daniel

Just one thing to consider,Aidee said it had 2 X 12V 34Ah batteries. It's likely these are connected in series giving 24V rather than in parallel. So the charging socket in the wall will be putting out about 27 or 28V rather than about 13 or 14V.

Sponsored Links
Back