Car dead

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Strange one is this. I have a Peugeot 106, went to start the car after coming out from work last week and it was almost dead. There was a clicking/ticking sound coming from the engine when I tried to turn it over. I got it jumped from another car and it was fine for a few days. I even tested the battery using one of those electric testers you plug in the cigarette lighter which indicated the battery and alternater were fine. It only showed a falter when I turned the rear heater on.

I come to start it today and nothing, completely dead. Not even a ticking noise. It was fine when I drove home last night.

Has anyone any idea what it could be as I don't wan't to buy a new battery for nothing ?

Sponsored Links
I even tested the battery using one of those electric testers you plug in the cigarette lighter which indicated the battery and alternater were fine. It only showed a falter when I turned the rear heater on.

Dont rely on those plug in gimmicky things as they're never reliable. Get it tested properly, either the battery isnt holding a charge or the alternator is shafted

Dont rely on those plug in gimmicky things as they're never reliable. Get it tested properly, either the battery isnt holding a charge or the alternator is shafted

How are you so sure?

The car could have an electrical fault, draining the battery, maybe the car only gets short journeys with lights and heated screens and mirrors on.

Someone could have knocked the switch for the interior light, and that could be on all the time.

Nick.

If you have a multimeter you can try a simple test yourself...with the engine running the voltage should be around 14.2v - with all electrical ancilliaries switched on the voltage shouldn't drop below around 13.5v on a fast tickover. Its not a foolproof test but its suitable 95% of the time. However if your battery is failing overnight it could well be goosed - and I think it probably is - but if you disconnect the battery (noting the radio code number) and it still won't start in the morning, its probably discharging internally. Anyway, a trip to a motor factors who will do a heavy discharge test on the battery will save you the bother. Cheers John

Sponsored Links
Thanks. The only way to test it will be to take it off and carry it into the shop.

One thing a while bck I found was the fuse for the rear window heater had melted in the box. I managed to get it out eventually and replace it. I would have seen if the interior lights were still on as it was dark when I last used it. The headlights have an alarm too.

Back