car insurance

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
anyone ever come across this situation,,,,,,,,,my sons car went on fire, quite a bit of damage done ,the insurance people said they would repair the body work damage but not the electrical repair work which caused the fire

Sponsored Links
Do you mean that you have done some electrical repair work and this is what caused the fire?

Or is it that the insurers wont pay for any electrical repairs?

As I understand it, they will pay for electrical repairs caused by the fire but, they won't repair the electrical work that caused the fire. Sounds fair enough to me.

I know this sounds odd but, if you look at what the insurance is for; it's to make sure that you don't suffer loss after an EVENT. The event in this case is FIRE. So; your insurance will attempt to put you in the position you (your son) was in before the event. The cause of the fire (wiring problem) isn't an insured event.

Thinking about it; most fires in cars are a write-off due to the high cost of repairs. They will then value the car as if it had a wiring fault.

Sponsored Links
If they repair the car to the point it was at when the fire started and if the fault is still there, with no obligation to undo any of the work which alledgedly caused the fire on your part, won't the car catch fire again?

Back