car phone charging

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
how do I charge my phone in the car without turning the ignition on. because in some cars I have managed to charge my phone without the ignition being on.

Sponsored Links
Buy a car like one of the ones where you have managed it in the past.

Or buy a car where the lighter socket comes on with the ignition switch in the accessory position.

Or get one of those wind-up phone chargers.

Or get one of those battery powered chargers.

how do I charge my phone in the car without turning the ignition on. because in some cars I have managed to charge my phone without the ignition being on.
Your car has very likely got a switched accessory port, which only powers up when the ignition is switched on. Some vehicles have a constantly on port.
It could be possible to get an auto-electrician to alter this for you.

TBH, I can't remember the last time I had a car which did not have the following positions for the ignition switch:

OFF --> Accessory --> ON --> Start (momentary spring biased)

Sponsored Links
TBH, I can't remember the last time I had a car which did not have the following positions for the ignition switch:

OFF --> Accessory --> ON --> Start (momentary spring biased)
What varies is what exactly is powered in each position (even the "OFF" position doesn't disconnect power from everything).

how do I charge my phone in the car without turning the ignition on.
You connect the phone charger to a supply that is powered even with the ignition off.

If your car has more than one accessory socket/cigarette lighter it's worth trying all of them to see if they are switched by the ignition or on permanent power.

If they all turn out to be on switched power then you will either need to add an extra socket with permanent power or rewire the existing one to be on permanent power.

My car has a fuse which can be inserted in 2 different positions, one which supplies power to the socket via the ignition, the other powers it all the time. Check your handbook in case yours has something similar.

I'm just wondering if the underlying problem is (understandably) not wanting to leave the car with keys in the ignition for a few hours. My only (not very good suggestion) is to put a sunshield in both the windscreen and the drivers window and then to lock the car using the spare key (good idea to secure the spare key to your clothing (safety pin?) so it can't go AWOL ?).

Cheers, Graham

TBH, I can't remember the last time I had a car which did not have the following positions for the ignition switch: OFF --> Accessory --> ON --> Start (momentary spring biased)
Same here - but, by the same token, I can't recall having such a car in which one could remove the key when the switch was in the Accessory position, which I suspect is the OP's issue.

Kind Regards, John

I'm just wondering if the underlying problem is (understandably) not wanting to leave the car with keys in the ignition for a few hours. My only (not very good suggestion) is to put a sunshield in both the windscreen and the drivers window and then to lock the car using the spare key (good idea to secure the spare key to your clothing (safety pin?) so it can't go AWOL ?).
I may be wrong, but I think that, in some cars, that would probably upset the alarm system - having the doors locked (hence alarm activated) but with the ignition switch 'partially on'. In that situation, the alarm could well think that someone had got in through a broken window and was tampering with the ignition switch!

Kind Regards, John

think its all to do with saving the power to the battery.
on my car a smax the front ciggie socket will only stay on for a few minutes once the key has been removed.
but i have another 1 in the rear hatch compartment which is permenatly live so i can power another device say a portable cooling box.also bear in mind a lot of cars now will switch everything off if it detects too much of a voltage drop thus saving the battery for starting the car........hopefully.

Sponsored Links
Back