car port allowed?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Just wondering if anyone got experience or knowledge of the following...

Can I put a car port in front of my garage...the garage is in line with front of house....

Can I build it further forward than the building line?

Does it need planning permission...I assumed not as it would be a temporary structure

Many thanks

Richard

Sponsored Links
You don’t normally need PP for a car port but it must be open on at least 2 sides but if you plan on erecting it in front of the building line it might pay to clarify with your local planning dept. The structure itself & any services you intend to install inside it (electrics, water etc) do, however, have to comply with current building regs.

A carport does come under planning control.

Normally, it will be built under permitted development (so it effectively already has permission), but if permitted development allowance has already been used/removed, or if it is otherwise exceeds permitted development rights (ie being built closer to any road), then formal permission is required.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back