Car port being converted - best way to hide meters?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I don't think I'll be shelling out on getting these moved, they'll have to stay put. Any ideas on how to hide them?

Dain

Sponsored Links
P_20180827_134918.jpg
P_20180827_134918.jpg

Sponsored Links
Hmm.

I may move them, presumably a WWU site visit would result in the gas being shut off if they found any zonal anomalies in the bathroom to which the new gas pipe would be redirected?

DSC03142.JPG

So, a bit of dry lining over redundant meter recesses/blockwork (wall with pine door replacement for old front door with sidelights).

Regs said run some membrane up the wall, up past the damp course.

I put 2 coats of Sikha Rapid DPM on the conc. base and up the red brick plinth, was going to membrane right over the base Sikha too, taped to the edge membrane. What do you reckon? Would it encourage condensation any more than the Sikha that's already down? Easier to fully membrane it now, whilst it's open?

Last edited:
If that's the old house external wall, why should it need a membrane?

I think regs was more concerned about the new wall to the left, which is stud over infill blockwork, previously it was just open. The car port had a bedroom above (still does), on blockwork corner piers. The gaps between piers have been glazed or blocked up.

See superseded image of pier bases with entrance to car port between. This car port entrance is now glazed and was directly behind me when I took the shot of that new pine door.

Attachments

• DSCN0007.JPG
    DSCN0007.JPG
    73.1 KB · Views: 40
Last edited:
I'm still confused, but I'll be better later after a few rums

Anyway, generally if there is chance of moisture getting across the wall (ie it's solid) then it should be lined with a polythene membrane before insulation and plasterboard finish. As the wall is rendered externally, the risk of moisture ingress is lessened or even removed, but that's a call to be made on site or agreed by any inspector

Any vertical membrane should lap the floor membrane, but as you have applied a liquid floor coating, any lap risks letting any moisture run down the vertical membrane and over the floor membrane. So in this case any vertical membrane should be chased in to the wall at DPC level

My question is is really about the top surface of the concrete base? Can you see any reason to not lay more membrane down flat and tape it to the edge membranes? Cover the whole base with membrane, on top of the Sikha.

I also took the 2 coats of Sikha Rapid up the wall to the btm of threshold oak step and slightly above DPC generally. So I might as well just complete the membrane across top of conc. base?

Attachments

• DSC03155.JPG
    DSC03155.JPG
    223.5 KB · Views: 42
  • DSC03160.JPG
    DSC03160.JPG
    256.1 KB · Views: 45
  • DSC03161.JPG
    DSC03161.JPG
    230.9 KB · Views: 40
Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back