car port

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
evenin ' all,
I'm thinking about putting up a carport between an existing bungalow and 6'fence.The fence posts could be extended.One problem is the soffits & facia on the bungalow.
many thanks :D :LOL: ;) :LOL:

Sponsored Links
er,pardon me breezer I thought this was a site to help people with building questions like offering plans or advise. I should get your money back from charm school if I were you and stop wasting everybodys time! :evil:

it would help if we knew what your question actually is, all you have done is made a statement that tells us you are thinking of putting up a carport and that one problem is soffits and facia,but it asks no question. to prove my point 36 have viewed your post, but no one could answer because you have no question. It is YOU that is wasting time, not I

Sponsored Links
I have recently read "Uri Geller mind-reading for Dummies", so let me try. Concentrate on the car port. Concentrate...

I see... I see a 6'-high fence. You wish to replace the posts on the fence with posts, perhaps 8-9 feet high.

You then want to build a roof-frame between these posts and your bungalow, yes?

But, I see soffits in your mind. These soffits are where your car port roof would meet the bungalow, and you are wondering what to do about it.

Have I got it about right so far? ;)

OK the questions are how do i fix the roof to the posts?
how do i fix the roof to the wall?
how do i construct a roof?thank u

amberden, let me give you some hints, that may provide answers to your questions, as i think you may have gathered we dont know a thing about your house or what you intend to build so answer these then you may get some help.

how big is the roof
whats it made of
whats it the framework made of
what is the construction of the wall of your house
what are the posts you are intending to use
etc
do you see the point.?

you could intend using a steelwork frame with a glass roof fixed to the side of a timber frame house, which will give an entirley different answer toa wooden frame, upvc roof fixed to a brick wall. until you tell us we dont know and cant realisticaly help

amberben i seem to recall you said
amberben said:
stop wasting everybodys time!

do you now see who is wasting everybodys time?

we are trying to help, but as i said, if you just make statements that doesnt tell us anything, its ok for you you can see what you are talking about, we cant

thank you VERY much Masona and Thermo,
I suppose I can put up wooden posts maybe 8' high
The wall is made of brick on a bungalow so I think the roof will have to go under the facia and soffits thy are about 8' from the ground.
Reading the info i guess the roof is made from wood then with plastic sheets on top and it looks like it needs to slope. 7' x 18' would be good.
I m worried if i screw into the top of the bungalow wall the bricks will crack and break away.
I didnt know what I could use, wood sounds good.but I can catch fire is this a worry with all the petrol in the car?
many thanks all my apologies for being completley new to any of this. :D :D :D :D :)

amberden, now were getting somewhere!
firstly you dont need to worry about the problems of fire, its not really an issue.
You could use timber posts on one side and a timber plate along the house wall plugged and screwed to the brickwork (it wont crack dont worry) you can then span between them using timber to make a roof framework and cover it with a plastic like, corrugated plastic.
There are however other ways of doing it. You can use polycarbonate roof sheeting which looks better and is stronger, but more expensive. have a look in your yellow pages etc for plastic sheet suppliers. Many of them offer systems for exactly this sort of thing that make the job very easy and fairly good looking (bit like me then! :D )

Also,if you ever go into b&q,they do a leaflet "building a carport" which explains the timber frame/plastic sheet type of construction (including if building regs apply)

Just a point to consider, putting a carport on your house, lowers it's value a little. (Don't blame me, I don't make the rules)

If you can afford it, glazing bar & polycarbonate roof sheeting is the way to go and properly be cheaper in the long run, the corrugated sheeting tend to brittle & break after a period of time.

As powertool pointed out in B&Q, see this for carport kits

Another one here in which I do know they are not cheap but do away with the upright supports.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back