Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Make vauxhall
Model Corsa
Engine size/Type Petrol
Year 2001
Mileage

A typical question from a woman? How often should I have my car serviced? I used to have it done every 9mths when I was working and using it everyday. But now I am not working, so use it for shopping, seeing friends no more than 5000 miles per year. How often do I need to have a service, as I am on a tight budget?

Sponsored Links
only once a year, at the same time as you get it MOT'ed. Try to find a good garage and stay with them, this builds up a good client relationship which results in better service.

Obviously if something untoward starts happening like it dropping oil or increased fuel consumption, etc, then take it in sooner rather than later. Unrepaired faults on cars seldom go away, and ignored can end up costing significantly more to fix.

But to re-iterate, @ 5000 miles per year, one service at MOT time should be fine.

If this is the 1.0 or 1.2 it will be chain driven, I would get it serviced it every year but change the oil every six months. On my Corsa 1.2 16v I plan to do the oil change every six months. It has nearly 81k on the clock so I am hoping this will help keep serious engine problems at bay.

Sponsored Links
Depends how attached to the car you are, but for 11year old runabout on low annual millage I would say a yearly quick look round and change of oil/filters/plugs, with the MOT or otherwise, would be enough and all you will get for a 'basic service'. Certainly thats all my 11year old 306 gets, although I usually do it myself.

Daniel

Hopefully it has been serviced by now - about 3 times if they still have it!!

Back