Car stereo keeps losing power/rebooting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We had a Pioneer car stereo fitted in the mrs’ car last year at Halfords

In the last couple of months it has started to go off and come back on (as if the power is going for a split second or is rebooting). Music goes off, along with the display on the front panel. It comes straight back on a second or so later.

When the auto stop/start kicks in the stereo also goes off and comes back on when the stop/start brings the engine back on - we're not sure if that's normal or due to how it was wired up by Halfords. It's done this since it was first fitted.

It still does it though if the auto stop/start is turned off.

Up until the other day, each time it went off she was in the same vicinity each time - either on the way to work at a certain location, or on the way home from work at a certain location. But there were some journeys where it never went off at all. I thought it was some sort of interference.

It's not always when the car is moving either - sometimes it does it whilst stationary at traffic lights.

In the last say 5 days though it has started to go off outside of the specific locations. One journey towards the end of last week (a short 10 minute drive) it went off about 10 times.

It's now looking more likely to me that it's a loose power connection or something like that. Unless it's linked to and issue with the auto stop/start?

I was wondering if anyone had seen anything like this before?

We'll probably get in contact with a local car stereo company rather than take it back to Halfords for them to troubleshoot.

Cheers.

Sponsored Links
Like you, I'd be looking at the electrical connections.......there will be at least three.
One will be permanently live for the set memory
One will be live with the ignition to power up the set
One will be earthed to the bodywork somewhere.
If crimp connections have been used, they are the immediate suspect! Much better to solder and cover with heat shrink.
Often motor factors can supply a connection wire loom, so no interference with the main car wiring is necessary - ideal if it applies to you.
John :)

We had a Pioneer car stereo fitted in the mrs’ car last year at Halfords

In the last couple of months it has started to go off and come back on (as if the power is going for a split second or is rebooting). Music goes off, along with the display on the front panel. It comes straight back on a second or so later.

When the auto stop/start kicks in the stereo also goes off and comes back on when the stop/start brings the engine back on - we're not sure if that's normal or due to how it was wired up by Halfords. It's done this since it was first fitted.

It still does it though if the auto stop/start is turned off.

Up until the other day, each time it went off she was in the same vicinity each time - either on the way to work at a certain location, or on the way home from work at a certain location. But there were some journeys where it never went off at all. I thought it was some sort of interference.

It's not always when the car is moving either - sometimes it does it whilst stationary at traffic lights.

In the last say 5 days though it has started to go off outside of the specific locations. One journey towards the end of last week (a short 10 minute drive) it went off about 10 times.

It's now looking more likely to me that it's a loose power connection or something like that. Unless it's linked to and issue with the auto stop/start?

I was wondering if anyone had seen anything like this before?

We'll probably get in contact with a local car stereo company rather than take it back to Halfords for them to troubleshoot.

Cheers.
What car?

Sponsored Links
Do you lose the pre sets for the radio stations when this happens ?
Is it a removeable face radio ?

If you do not lose radio presets then it must be an issue with the auxiliary feed to the radio.
It should not go on and off on the car start stop system.
A car electrician should short this out very quickly

If you do not lose radio presets then it must be an issue with the auxiliary feed to the radio.
It should not go on and off on the car start stop system.
A car electrician should short this out very quickly
The new stereo has gone off when the auto stop start kicked, and come back on when the engine starts back up again, ever since it was fitted.

The issue with it going off at random now has been happening for the last couple of months.

What does the auxiliary feed do?

You have a live feed to the radio constantly so you dont loss preset radio stations .
The auxiliary feed comed from when you turn ingtion to auxiliary or start this puts a feed to your radio so you can turn it on and dont leave it on when ingtion turned off.
It must be wired wrong as the stop start should not effect the radio.
I would get it rewired

You have a live feed to the radio constantly so you dont loss preset radio stations .
The auxiliary feed comed from when you turn ingtion to auxiliary or start this puts a feed to your radio so you can turn it on and dont leave it on when ingtion turned off.
It must be wired wrong as the stop start should not effect the radio.
I would get it rewired
Cheers.
Still not sure why the issue with it cutting out only started in the last day 6 weeks. Before that it only lost power when the stop/start kicked in.

Sponsored Links
Back