Caravan Consumer unit - Have i wired correctly?

Also IIRC T&E is not reccommended for caravan use. My advice would be to use 2.5mm flex.
The T&E used to wire up a mobile first aid unit ( DIY "electrician" ) suffered badly from vibration. In places the sheath was worn through to expose the insulation on the conductors.

Sponsored Links
Ok. So what would the suggestion be to my diagram to make sure it is earthed in the safest way possible?

Thanks

I'm surprised there has been no reference to the relevant part of BS7671 that covers caravans that specifies flex for the wiring in touring caravans.
Or the bonding requirements.

This caravan has never had an electrical installation - it's all going to be done from scratch.

bobbleoff - I really, strongly, advise that you get someone who knows what they are doing to wire the caravan for you.

Sponsored Links
I'm not designing a rocket.
Indeed not.

But do you understand all of the requirements for wiring a caravan?

Have you read Section 721 of the Wiring Regulations, for example?

I'm merely trying to source the parts separately to build a much cheaper setup of a readily available kit you can buy on line.
But having got the parts, how will that magically enable you to know what to do with them?

See here:

http://www.towsure.com/product/Caravan_Mains_Electric_DIY_Installation_Kit[/QUOTE]
OK.

Now you see here: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/House-Rew...r-Unit-Cable-Wiring-Accessories-/130866855758 and explain how if you bought that you would then be able to successfully design and install from scratch the electrical installation for a house.

Please,. I'm after advice not someone to point out or discredit others suggestions without offering a practical solution.
The practical solution is to get someone who is properly skilled to do it.

I'm obviously here because I am not an electrician. I am however proficient enough to wire a circuit together.
I don't think you realise what is involved in safely wiring a caravan.

I have ensured correct cable thickness, made sure I use dual pole mcb's and I am seeking advice on a diagram I have drawn up, not messing around with electrics to get it right.
But messing around is exactly what you will be doing.

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
It comes with instructions. Something i dont have. Yes....if i paid an extra 50 odd quid i would have them. Just wanted some advice on what i think will be the same as the diagram in the kit.

No, im not wiring a house.

Well we might as well get rid of this section in the forum then.

There is more to it than just a diagram showing what is connected to what.

Earthing, bonding, containment, supports, type and location of inlet, mechanical protection, proximity to gas if there is any, testing....

Please get an electrician skilled in caravan installations.

I am going to see if i can download the instuctions or find a van to look at.I think we are over complicating things.

I'm after simple surface mounted sockets.

Besides...I have ample room under my sink to accommodate the consumer unit. I may even stick with the one socket in the bathroom.

Thanks for advice though

It does in the ESQCR.

Lookinbg at ESQCR what it actually says is: -
(4) The distributor shall not connect his combined neutral and protective conductor to any metalwork in a caravan or boat.

So to be pedantic once the supply reaches the customer terminals the earth and neutral are split so stricktly speaking the distributor is not connecting his combined N/E to the metal work.
There is nothing to say he must not permit others to do so.

Yes I know the risks having dealt with a lot of neutral faults

Lookinbg at ESQCR what it actually says is: -
(4) The distributor shall not connect his combined neutral and protective conductor to any metalwork in a caravan or boat.
I'm a bit confused by that. Under what circumstances would/could a DNO be connecting any of his conductors to (i.e. providing a supply directly to) a caravan or boat ?

Kind Regards, John

I may even stick with the one socket in the bathroom.
If it were a house, you would not be allowed to have that unless the bathroom were so large that the socket could be at least 3 metres from shower or bath. Is there a shower in the 'bathroom' concerned?

Kind Regards, John

Of course I was being 100% serious. I also fully intend on carrying out the installation wearing nothing but Wellington boots as I hear this is the correct way to ensure you are insulated. I might wear a bow tie as well but as of yet I am undecided.

Excuse me. I'm off to play with a toaster in the bath now.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back