Caravan Consumer unit - Have i wired correctly?

Sponsored Links
:) we must share a strange sense of humour. ... In all seriousness. Thanks to all for constructive advice.
I'm not sure that I would call my sense of humour "strange" :) As for the advice, one thing to realise is that putting an electrical installation into a outdoor 'metal box' (unless your caravan is 'plastic'!) raises various safety issues beyond those which exist when one is 'just' wiring a house.

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
It's mainly timber frame. It will be earthed/grounded to the chassis. I take on board comments.

Tow sure is a reputable website and the kit they sell is readily available all over. All I want to do is replicate that.

I agree it should not be rocket science, that it is not outside the scope of what a competent person could do even if not fully qualified, and that towsure is a fairly reputable company. But also that is something you can get quite wrong with easy, thats not dead simple or straight forward, and that towsure are not a huge company one who quite likely might sell things the customer wants even if it should not.

Don't think its half an hours bodge job and an earth lead, or combine the two topics 'how do I wire my caravan' and 'what do i need to plug my caravan into my house' as the two will end in a mess.

Daniel

It's mainly timber frame. It will be earthed/grounded to the chassis.
Is the chassis earthed?

Tow sure is a reputable website and the kit they sell is readily available all over.
There a thousands of reputable businesses, online, physical and both, who sell consumer units and cables etc. The fact that they are reputable does not mean that if you buy from them you will automatically be able to use them competently.

If you go to B&Q you can probably buy every single thing you need to build a house from below ground up, including electrical components, gas boiler, drainage. Does that mean that you know how to build a house?

Saying that because you can buy elsewhere the same items sold by Towsure you must be competent to electrify a caravan is nonsense.

All I want to do is replicate that.
There is more involved than simply having the right components.

So to be pedantic once the supply reaches the customer terminals the earth and neutral are split so stricktly speaking the distributor is not connecting his combined N/E to the metal work.
There is nothing to say he must not permit others to do so.
So what is the reason for prohibiting caravan sites from using TN-C-S?

The reason is that the exposed metal work would be at Neutral potential. If the neutral potential went above ground then anyone touching the ground and any metal part of the caravan would create a neutral to ground path. If the potential on the neutral was high then then path through the person could carry a fatal current. As the CPC does not go via the RCD the earth current would not trip any safety devices.

The reason is that the exposed metal work would be at Neutral potential. If the neutral potential went above ground then anyone touching the ground and any metal part of the caravan would create a neutral to ground path. If the potential on the neutral was high then then path through the person could carry a fatal current. As the CPC does not go via the RCD the earth current would not trip any safety devices.
Indeed. However the same hazard can presumably theoretically arise with a TN-S earth if that earth connection gets broken somewhere on the supply side and, simultaneously, there is an L-E fault in one of the properties supplied by the same TN-S earth on the downstream side of the discontinuity.

Kind Regards, John

Can that only happen with a caravan on a caravan site, not anywhere else?

Thinking about it and the way I've seen it operated. If we know as a DNO that a caravan (or boat) will be connected to the supply, an earth terminal may be with held.
I say may as on a caravan site the fixed buildings could have a T-N-C-S supply and often do, but the actual caravans must be TT, which is specified elsewhere
(the same actually occurs in a garage, the repair bays and shop could have a T-N-C-S supply but the fuel handling side must be TT.)
Similarly a temporary supply to a caravan whilst a house is being built would fall under this restriction.

If, however, we were not aware that a caravan may be connected e.g. to one stored at home it is unlikely we would police such an installation (though if we were there for other reasons we would possibly defect the installation.

However the ESQCR regulation is a bit open to interpretation in my view

Obviously not. It could happen whenever a caravan outdoors had exposed metal that was connected to a TN-C-S earth, regardless of location.

...but it equally obviously doesn't have to be a caravan. Exactly the same potential (extremely rare) hazard exists whenever there is any touchable metal outdoors (including the infamous 'garden tap' on the wall outside the kitchen) which is electrically connected to a TN-C-S earth.

Kind Regards, John

It can happen anywhere. The difference is that caravans have much more exposed metal, entire walls in some caravans hence the risk of a large contact area between metal at Neutral potential and the human body is much greater. A larger contact area means that for the same potential more current can flow through the body.

I recall some experimental houses in Milton Keynes had to be TT due the metal wall coverings.

What I meant was can it only happen with a caravan on a caravan site, not with a caravan anywhere else?

I would have thought that the hazards would be the same if it were in a front garden, so I'm not sure why people are saying that it's fine to connect a caravan in your front garden to a TN-C-S supply.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back