Career as an electrican

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am thinking of retraining as an electrician, what courses are available in the manchester area?
Where should I be looking for further information.
Sorry I should have used the search function

Sponsored Links
is the market for electricians picking up now the "recession" is slowly getting better? plenty of work around?

at a guess, due to these 'courses' there are more 'electricians' than jobs. after seeing what i seen today though there is stilla shortage of tradesmen.

Sponsored Links
I myself have started on a 2 evening a week for two years college course. It amazes me when you see ad's in local papers saying be a qualifed electrician in 5 weeks!! :eek: that cant be healthy for A) The customer and B) Yourself lol

Its the equivilent of having a splash about in a paddling pool with armbands then jumping off a diving board into the deep end when you cant swim I should think.

Its the equivilent of having a splash about in a paddling pool with armbands then jumping off a diving board into the deep end when you cant swim I should think.
into water with hungry sharks.

Its not rocket science by any means, but a little knowledge can, unfortunately, be a dangerous thing.
After a 5 day course, 'a little knowledge' is exactly what you will have.

I am thinking of retraining as an electrician, what courses are available in the manchester area?
Where should I be looking for further information.
Sorry I should have used the search function

I am about to do the same !! I have been out of work now for 1 year. I am a quilified Computer bod with 30 years experience and having just checked, over 600 jobs applied for, well time for a change. The people say it has nothing to do with age, yea right !! They want to pay minimum wage for some one with all the experience, I dont think so, just a joke. I know I could become a scally getting up at 2 in the afternoon and then go robbing when people are asleep in the early hours ?? Again i dont think so

Rant over .....

i recently finished C&G 2230 evening course, one night per week and one whole saturday per month. altough this took 2 1/2 years its one of them jobs where it'll never stopping teaching you things. the down side is all the costs: course - £6000, nvq3 - £1500, AM2 - £500, Part p £600, thats without tools! i think its a great idea to do it, but dont let small pieces of knowledge lead you beleive your competant before you are

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
He who asks is a fool for 5 minutes... he who doesnt... fool for life

the trades are dying because of these 6 month/week courses

iam a gas engineer of 13years the whole industry is full of postmen,factory workers & and of course doleits the govenment have devalued our industry making out any d**k h**d can do it. am going to make a career change to a dentist.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back