United Kingdom
Most of the light fittings I disconnected were like this :rolleyes:

Attachments

• 1A632A22-A695-4D97-A399-A49ED79A13E9.jpeg
    1A632A22-A695-4D97-A399-A49ED79A13E9.jpeg
    187.2 KB · Views: 379
Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Reminds me of a new Spectrum kitchen install.

Every socket was connected something like, and I had to re-terminate every socket.

Most of the light fittings I disconnected were like this :rolleyes:
I found a whole new house install where not a single wire had been stripped and insulation displacement had been relied upon along with chewed screwheads where they had been done up so hard to make it work, the only exception being the CU tails where there was something like 15mm of bare copper.
Apparently 'in my country' fittings were designed to be installed like that.

There is a flat 24 volt PLC cable
ASi_CABLE2.JPG
that is designed to be used without stripping, but the old 110 volt system with clamp on lights as an when required has long since gone.

There is a flat 24 volt PLC cable
ASi_CABLE2.JPG
that is designed to be used without stripping, but the old 110 volt system with clamp on lights as an when required has long since gone.

Wieland do a system called Podis, which is a profiled, flat cable system with insulation displacement connectors, carrying 3P N E and 24vdc in one cable. There's a gazillion miles of at Gatwick, used on baggage handling systems, works well, once installed. Flatform profiled cables always require a bit of care on the install to make sure they stay in the right orientation for connecting stuff onto them.

I opened up a cheap crappy Chinese multi adapter / extension lead which had failed a PAT test for having no earth continuity. Its LN&E wires had been terminated by screwing into the insulation as in the top photo - but there were no ferrules on the wires and no sign of them having been stripped before terminating. What were they thinking?

What were they thinking?
Whats for tea that day? The footy results? Does that bird down the pub fancy them?
Anything, but obviously not what they were supposed to be doing :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back