Fittings on very uneven walls.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
What's the best way to fit switches, sockets and light fittings to walls like this, so as to have no gaps?

Don't say "take the tiles off" :rolleyes:

foto_no_exif.jpg

Sponsored Links
I was thinking more of the aesthetics afterwards.

I don't really want to see a patress, and a wall light won't have a patress available either.

Some sort of foam gasket?

I meant grind the tiles that are proud to match the lower ones and effectively recess the switches a bit. But being honest there are probably better ways.

Sponsored Links
How thick are the stones ?

Could an architrave switch be be fitted horizontally onto the edge of a stone or in place of a piece of stone ?

0x7.jpg

Architrave cable outlets with short flex to lamp fittings that have "legs" attaching the lamp to the wall. Each leg cut to length to suit the stones.

Sockets Either grind out a space for a back box or grind flat for a surface box.

If the sockets do get fitted "flush" then smooth off any sharp edges beneath the sockets where cables from plugs could rub against the wall and be abraded.

Since clearly it all needs designing for the wires to be put in place, as part of the design a larger tile could be used. The use of wood back plates was the traditional way to mount sockets and switches in old houses, so if using a retro finish for walls then also retro install methods for sockets and switches, wood plates with surface sockets or other in keeping finish.
light-oak-black-double-socket.jpg

However you do it, accessories on a wall like that are inevitably going to look complete pants, even if the levelling problems are solved.

Since clearly it all needs designing for the wires to be put in place, as part of the design a larger tile could be used. The use of wood back plates was the traditional way to mount sockets and switches in old houses, so if using a retro finish for walls then also retro install methods for sockets and switches, wood plates with surface sockets or other in keeping finish.
light-oak-black-double-socket.jpg
We considered them, or something similar a while ago when planning this refurb, but decided against them. But I was toying with the idea of a patress or plate again to get over this problem, but came up with another....

I meant grind the tiles that are proud to match the lower ones and effectively recess the switches a bit. But being honest there are probably better ways.

Yes a grinder was the first thought, but using one in the front room meant it was a fleeting thought. I did the main cuts outside in the garden and that was bad enough.

But, it occurred to me that the Dremmel I have used about twice in 20 years might be of use.

So with that in hand, a vacuum and tiny diamond blade, and dentists overall, jobs a good 'un. (y)

This site shows a photo of UK Outlets and a switch on such a wall. (http://making-short-films.com/how-to-install-backsplash-around-outlets/)

Fairly obviously, the outlets were in place before the stone "tiles" were installed around them.

It may be possible to "build out" that small portion of the wall on which the plates are to be mounted - so that the surface of the outlets would be more aligned with the surface of the "tiles".

(In Australia, a "Mounting Block" such as this could be used https://www.sparkydirect.com.au/p/5568593/nls---mounting-block-shallow-16mm---30047.html but I do not know if anything similar is available in the UK.)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back