Sockets not flush with wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My electrician has just fitted new switch sockets which are not flush, i used to have tiles which i don't want he suggested a splashback i don't want that, what could I do, or could I just fill gaps with filler to prevent moisture, even if they are slightly away from wall..

Attachments

• 15996603432195710751203728262895.jpg
    15996603432195710751203728262895.jpg
    138.3 KB · Views: 941
  • 15996603821887753910756970727906.jpg
    15996603821887753910756970727906.jpg
    141.3 KB · Views: 972
Sponsored Links
J,
Sorry to add to problems, but can you get a plug in those sockets?
They seem very low and close to the upriser plinth.
Items such as kettles and toasters with molded plugs, their cables might hit the upriser plinth stopping them, being inserted.

Might be best to test them now.

Regarding sockets, I would have said that electrician should have sunk back boxes deeper, or can he swap with shallower back box?
SFK

Hi yes just tested it, just about fits in not flush again but kettle did boil, not sockets that would be getting used often but even so. I could put it to electrician but was hoping that was his job done instead I may have to get him back bit thank u for a solution.

Sponsored Links
The sockets are too low, and it sounds like the boxes are too shallow to accept those particular fancy sockets.

Best solution - deeper boxes and raise them up.

It looks some repair work is needed to the wall anyway, so may as well get the damage done now, then it's right.

looks a little odd, also hope thats not your finished job, you should have plates to go over them as they are the screwless range

What I don't understand is that the spark is being employed and paid by the customer. Why on earth would he refuse to install things exactly the way the customer wants?

The only thing I can possibly think of is that it was not planned to fit sockets requiring a deeper box than 25mm when the first fix went in.

The sockets are too low, and it sounds like the boxes are too shallow to accept those particular fancy sockets.

Best solution - deeper boxes and raise them up.

It looks some repair work is needed to the wall anyway, so may as well get the damage done now, then it's right.

hi thanks for reply, yes they are too low now but that is where they where situated, they had tiles on that wall before i got an upstand and british general white sockets so at the time where flush and not too low..

What I don't understand is that the spark is being employed and paid by the customer. Why on earth would he refuse to install things exactly the way the customer wants?

The only thing I can possibly think of is that it was not planned to fit sockets requiring a deeper box than 25mm when the first fix went in.

hi thanks for reply yes the spark know there is a bit of a problem, he has left the fronts off all off them until the tiler has finished he said so the tiler wont scratch them, and that wall did have tiles on so it was flush i have had a new kitchen fitted and got the upstand that is why this has happened..

hi yes plates to go over he has left them off tiler due to tile around so he said they wont get scratched just ask tiler to pop them on when finished.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back