Carpet Cleaners...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I’m looking for the best way to clean my carpets. Mostly it is just cleaning spot stains off but it’d also be good if I can clean the whole carpet. I don’t want to hire a rug doctor as the costs long term will be more significant than buying something.

I was thinking about getting one of those steam cleaners as they’re pretty affordable and simple so shouldn’t break too easily. I also like the idea that I can use them to keep other things around the house clean like the kitchen floor and blasting ovens and bathrooms clean. Also, as an asthmatic I figure that it’ll only be good for killing off dust mites.

Am I just being gullible and buying in to the sales pitch for a pointless product or are these things everything they’re cracked up to be? If you’ve bought one of these steam cleaners then I’d love to hear your thoughts on whether they’re worth the ~£100 price tag and what brands are good. If not then can anyone recommend a reasonably priced regular carpet cleaner?

Sponsored Links
Hey, I have a steam cleaner. I have to say although they work well I do not have enough use out of mine to make it worth the money! Make sure you think hard about this purchase before buying!

I've got a Vaporetto 2000 steam cleaner - I bought it after seeing a demonstration video.
Frankly I think its useless...it does have its uses but does it clean cookers? No. Does it whiten tile grout or scruffy silicone? No.
It cleans kitchen cupboard doors well enough, but you can't see what you're doing because the kitchen is full of steam....
For carpets, you wrap a towel around the steam head and a certain amount of grot comes out...you need a supply of towels too. Its quite good on car upholstery though. I certainly wouldn't buy one again.
For carpets I use a Vax Rapide upright and the state of the recovered cleaning solution has to be seen to be believed...the only thing about this is the days of tinnitus afterwards because it makes such a racket.
John :)

Thanks for the replies. I bought myself a Vax V028 Rapide Powerjet Pro, haven't tried it out yet but won't bother with a steam cleaner!

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back