Carpet gripper

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Is anyone above to tell me what the legallity would be of attaching upturned carpet gripper rods to the top of a wooden gate without appropiate warning signs? What issues might arise if someone was to place their hand on the top corner to push it open and cut themselves on a rusty nail?

A.

Sponsored Links
You could be faced with claims for damages under the Occupier Liability Act

Precisly what I was thinking (well I didn't have the name of the act :) )

Questions now are...

A) Do I need a tetness (sp?) shot?
B) Note pushed through the letter box, or tip the local council/HSE/Constable off about it?

:D

Depends on the circumstances.

If the gate is on his property and you cut yourself during a burglary........GOOD. :D

People use improvised security measures all the time.
Broken glass cemented onto the tops of their perimeter walls is another example.

Unless you give circumstances......Who knows.

Sponsored Links
I cut my finger trying to open his gate to deliver something to his letter box, the gate was situated on the boundry with the public footpath

Is anyone above to tell me what the legallity would be of attaching upturned carpet gripper rods to the top of a wooden gate without appropiate warning signs? What issues might arise if someone was to place their hand on the top corner to push it open and cut themselves on a rusty nail?

I had the local Crime Prevention Officer round a few yrs ago and ha advised me to nail carpet gripper to the fence. :D

where you live I'm surprised he didn't suggest a pill box in the front garden with an armed guard in it at all times... :) :mrgreen:

You should have a tetanus jab if you have not had one in 10 yrs. As for the liability you should speak to a solicitor. Can't see you retiring on the compensation (if any) though! :cry:

Irrespective of the legality, its not a good idea as it will rot or delaminate in a few weeks.
Better bet get a plastic type from screwfix, it is just as effective, cheap, and lasts a long time.

This could well be worth a read
It may seem that the best way to avoid being burgled is to make sure that burglars cannot get anywhere near the property - especially for people living in semi-detached and detached houses. Placing barbed wire, broken glass, nails or carpet gripper on the wall surrounding the property may seem like the ideal solution. This may not be inherently illegal but there are restrictions on what householders can do - careful consideration should be given to the legal position before any of these deterrent methods are used.

Occupier’s Duty of Care to Trespassers
Anyone who owns, or controls, property has a legal duty of care to protect people on the property from foreseeable harm. This duty extends to people on the property without permission – including burglars and vandals. A householder could be sued for damages under the Occupier’s Liability Act 1984 if a burglar is injured whilst on their property. The test will be whether the householder could have predicted that a trespasser was likely to be injured. If broken glass has deliberately been placed at a likely entry-point, any subsequent injury suffered will have been entirely foreseeable.

Discharging the Duty
A householder may be able to discharge this duty by warning trespassers of the hazard or by discouraging them from coming onto the property. This could be done by putting up a sign that warns of the danger: “Attention – Razor Wire on Wall!” and invites trespassers not to risk hurting themselves: “Keep Out!”. If a householder was sued, the court would consider all the circumstances of the case before deciding whether the householder was, in fact, liable for damages.

The Criminal Justice Act 2003 provides some protection to householders. If a trespasser suffers an injury during the course of a crime, for which he is subsequently convicted and for which he could be sent to prison, he will only be able to sue the householder if he gets the court’s permission to do so. The court is unlikely to grant permission unless the householder had taken grossly excessive steps or had not been acting to defend himself, his family or his property from an offence.

Other Legal Restrictions
Section 164 of the Highways Act 1980 says that barbed wire on land adjoining a public highway must not cause a nuisance to humans or animals using the highway. Anything placed below 2.4 metres high will usually be deemed to be causing a nuisance and the local authority can issue a notice demanding its removal.

The Highways Act does not mention the use of nails or broken glass. However, these methods could injure innocent members of the public in the vicinity: a piece of glass could fall and injure someone walking past; or, someone could fall onto a low wall.

Police Advice
The police advise against the use of such methods of intruder prevention due to the risk of legal action if someone is injured. Of course, it is not only intruders and trespassers who risk being injured by barbed wire or broken glass. Householders owe a much greater duty of care to anyone on the property with permission including guests and people who have implied permission, such as the postman. Consider the danger posed to any children who may be visiting the property. If a child was injured after climbing on a wall in which broken glass is embedded, the householder is very likely to have breached their duty of care.

If in doubt about the use of any intruder deterrent method, householders should seek the advice of their local crime prevention or crime reduction police officer.

Other Objections
Local councils sometimes object to householders placing barbed wire on their properties and may insist that it is removed. Even if the householder has complied with the legal restrictions, the council may be concerned about their own legal position if someone is injured. Neighbours may object to obvious deterrent methods such as barbed wire because they look unattractive or because they may give the impression that a neighbourhood is more dangerous than it is.

If householders do use barbed wire they should check that their household insurance will cover them for any injuries caused by it.

Alternative Methods
A solid brick wall with trellis fencing attached to the top should be enough to keep most intruders out. The trellis should not be strong enough to support the weight of a human intruder and is far more attractive than barbed wire. Even more attractive are prickly bushes such as rose and hawthorne. Either of these methods will make a householder much less likely to fall foul of the law – or the neighbours.

taken from this link.
http://www.protectingyourself.co.uk/using-barbed-wire-glass-intruder-prevention-methods.html

Screwfix sell wall spike strips that they say are recommended by the Police.

I put a strip across the top of a gate to stop kids climbing over which I guess must have been fairly effective as someone had tried to break them off a few days later.

You should have a tetanus jab if you have not had one in 10 yrs.

they don't recomend that now.. if you had all your jabs and boosters when you were younger then you're covered unless it's something like a garden fork through the foot etc..

Sponsored Links
Back