carpet stain guarantee gets stained

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Recently I got a new cream carpet fitted in one of the rooms, after 4months I have noticed under the two radiators I have there is a long 1inch thick black line running as far as the radiators span.

When buying the carpet it came with a lifetime stain protection guarentee ( apparenlty has some scotch guard protection) I have tried to clean the carpet and hover it but I still have these long black lines ( one of the radiators is 2metres wide)

What I want to know is what am I entitled too, I am intending to go back to the shop but would like to know where I stand with this.

It was a local shop so I know they can be a bit funny but at the end of the day its a manufacture guarentee that came with the carpet not them, so they should be able to sort this right? or not?

Really appreciate peoples comments

Thank you very much

Sponsored Links
is the stain near the bleed valve!!!!!

have you bled the radiators without a cloth!!

..and is it damp or dry ? Could be dust dropping down from the rad, especially as its the whole length, and being "baked" into the carpet. You need to read the T&Cs of the guarantee but contact the shop/guarantee contact number if thats the case and ask them to investigate. The shop will be be fine with that. Its not their issue....

i wonder if it might be a leaking radiator? Or could it be a draught coming up through the floor and carrying fine dust?

What's the floor made of? Ground floor? Is the bottom of the radiator black?

how about a photo?

Sponsored Links
HI
thanks for ur replies,its not damp at all. will try to get a picture, the floor is timber floor boards with cloud9 pu underlay. Its defo from the rad,its not leaking its like a fineee dust but black so had stained.

Thanks

Being along the whole length of two radiators is a puzzle. It could be sucked up from the underlay or dust falling on the carpet. Give the rad a good wipe over with a damp white cloth and see it it picks up any dust of a similar type.

I would have thought the guarantee would cope with that but if not then the household insurance will....still a pain though and you would want to eliminate the cause anyway.

Hi

Have taken pictures, but it really doesnt show it well. Underlay is not dirty neither was the floor when it was laid. I can confirm 100% that it has come from the radiator, so the question that remains is will the guarentee cover it? Im not to sure about house insurance as I dont really want my premium rising. If the carpet is guaranteed against stain then surely the manufacutre is obliged to replace it?

Thank you once again

No harm in getting them out to investigate.

But you would want to find out whats causing it as they won't do it twice.....

it would be interesting to place some clean white paper under the rad and try to identify the dirt.

Do you dust behind them with a feather duster and a vac hose?

it sounds like dust being sucked through the carpet from underneath. This is very common in older houses. Your problem is that you cant remove it as you just pull more through when trying to clean it. There is no real cure for the problem apart from sealing all the floor boards up the best you can. Best method is plywood over the floor and silicon the gaps under the skirts. Or darker coloured carpet. Guess your old carpet was a darker colour hence you never noticed before!

"Scotch Guard" products are a waste of time, effort and money if you pay for them.

Eventually The dirt will get under the scotch guard, and be very hard to remove, even by an industrial cleaner...

My advice to anyone s to stay away from them,,,, Carpet sales people will differ, how-ever they probabaly make comissions if they sell the product with a carpet.....

Most industrial / commercial environment are now quickly shying away from scotch guard as they have realised the problems....

Yours is more likley dust draw up from under the carpet, and no matter how hard you try you will never remove it, as its under the scotch guard...

Best way to describe these products is thay are like a hairspray....

"Scotch Guard" products are a waste of time, effort and money if you pay for them.

Eventually The dirt will get under the scotch guard, and be very hard to remove, even by an industrial cleaner...

My advice to anyone s to stay away from them,,,, Carpet sales people will differ, how-ever they probably make commissions if they sell the product with a carpet.....

Most industrial / commercial environment are now quickly shying away from scotch guard as they have realised the problems....

Yours is more likely dust draw up from under the carpet, and no matter how hard you try you will never remove it, as its under the scotch guard...

Best way to describe these products is thay are like a hairspray....

Dont totally agree with you there for certain reasons :eek:

When a carpet is sold as a stain resistant/proof carpet it normally does as it says. The way they do this is that when they dye the yarn etc, they then fill it with a clear dye etc until it wont soak up any more dye, hence if you do spill something it can not absorb any thing and it will just sit there until cleaned up. * but not dust migration *

But i do agree on the products that are put on after. There are some that are very good but do walk off and are not any type of guarantee. If you have your carpet cleaned you should have it re coated to carry on the protection.

There is one product we use that does guarantee against stains for 5 years and works well, but is more of a insurance policy you pay into!

Ahh I see, I think that must be what happend, the dirt is under the guardthank you very much for explaining, There have been quite a few spills of things on the carpet and a couple of doses of carpet cleaner and a good rub have taken care of them but this one does not want to go.

Could it be that I didnt notice the dirt straight away so it has now sunken in as you said into the scotch guard?

Will the manufacutre deal with this and replace?

Also regarding the carpet that has about 5years good protection, which one would this be?

thank you

There is one product we use that does guarantee against stains for 5 years and works well, but is more of a insurance policy you pay into!

I would love to see the Terms and conditions applied to that..... 5 years??? how many people fall for that one....??/.....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back