carpet stones for a driveway?

str

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Have been trying to decide on what to use for our driveway surface following a recent extension.

Have seen carpet stones (cobble/sett lookalikes but on a mesh background) which i think bradstone make?

They are stated as being suitable for use on a driveway (it tends to have a car parked on it, so stationary weight) but does anyone have any experience of using these?

the guidelines state how to lay, but wasnt sure if it should be a dry mix that they are laid on? the drive slopes away from the house to the pavement.

Sponsored Links
They are an expensive option due to the prep needed.

A solid concrete base and then a futher 50mm bedding of mortar makes it both material wise and time wise pretty spendy.

The bedding needs to be stiffish as you need to screed it. Choice of sand is important here if you want a mortar that is mixed well but doesn't hold too much water. A very coarse sharp sand is best.

Thought I could get away with a hardcore/mot base but obviously not!

I assume a standard sett driveway (ie individual stones) dont need a concrete base?

Sponsored Links
No stone setts are usually bedded on a deep lean mix concrete/mortar which is totally stiff hence why you can then point them.

Generally speaking anything which is to be pointed with mortar must be layed on a rigid bed otherwise the tiny movement will make the pointing fail. This is especially true of a driveway for obvious reasons.

Lots of very good info on paving expert for all types of paving.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back