carpet under door

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, hope this is the right area to post this.

How should i go about altering my front door to accomodate a relativly deep pile carpet to the lounge?

The distance between the bottom of the door and floor structure is about 10mm and the carpet plus underlay will be about 20mm. is there a way to cut the bottom of the (timber front) door off and fit some type of rain sheid / weather threshold to the bottom. (the carpet fitter has said i need to sort this before he will fit and hes booked in next week.

I need any advice soon as the carpet is being fitted next week so ideally want to sort it out over the weekend. I do not really want to take the front door of its inges if possible and i do have hjig saw to cut it if required.

thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
is it the ouside door that gets the weather!!
if so go for a door matt well and stop the carpet clear off the door swing
it is not advisable to remove anything from the door
increasing the bar under the door will cause a trip hazzard that will leak

I am surprised that you have not had any replies!

You could try fitting rising hinges to the door in place of the standard ones (I assume the ones on the door are standard). Do a search for rising hinges on google and you will see lots of information. In simple terms the rising hinge will make the door lift up as it is opened. The gap between the bottom of the door and the floor with therefore increase as the door opens. You may need to plane the outer top edge of the door a bit to allow for the 'lift' of the door with the rising hinges.

If you choose to shorten the door by cutting a slice from the bottom I suggest you then replace the existing threshold with a thicker one to make the gap between threshold and door as it was before. The idea of simply putting a draught excluding strip across the gap is a bit lame! Do the job properly pal.

A decent chippy will re-size the door and replace the threshold for you in a couple of hours easy.

I would go for the second option if it were me.

Hope that helps

Sponsored Links
Problem is the front door should sit above the interior floor by at least 30mm, I have a concrete floor overlaid with 20mm T&G and a 18mm thick door mat and the door clears it with ease.
What is the lounge floor made of?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back