cars of the seventies

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i own various triumphs(stag ,dolomite sprint)and an mgbgt,and every time i see a car of that era i want it ,is it just me or are cars from those days just more appealing than modern cars,does anybody else 40+ years old feel this way?

Sponsored Links
No harm what you're doing if you can afford it!

Bought a Mini Cooper a couple month ago which bought back a lot of memories for me. I had 4 mini's in my younger days and I'm having so much fun driving it again and will keep this one forever and it's a real head turner, people down my street stop me to talk about it. Like you if I can afford it and find the room to store them I would buy more!

My Mini is in my mum's gagage! I also once own a Dolomite Sprint with the normal blown head gasket problem. I don't like modern cars today although there're more comfortable now!

My late grandfather had the 2nd Morris Minor of the production line after 3yrs waitng list. Got rid of it after 8 months as he got fed up with the media follow him everywhere! I wishes he kepted it now :cry:

I would love a Citroen SM.

Or a 70s E-type, they had the E-type sexiness but had been fitted with modern toys (like air conditioning) by that time.

As a youngish bloke, I feel like I should be tinkering with my car instead of taking it to a garage. But I don't own the necessary computer terminal in order to work on my own car, nor would I feel right charging myself £80 an hour to do it.

Herein lies part of the attraction of the cars back then: In films and TV programmes of the 50s and 60s (and possibly 70s), it was a common sight to see a chap working on his own car. But when was the last time you saw someone properly working on a modern car on TV?

i quite agree with you, im over 60 yrs of age , and had all sorts of makes and models , starting with my first car after i passed me test , an old ford 8./ after that i went through a lot of different makes and models.
the thing was they all seemed to have a character of there own, and you could do jobs on them yourself with out much trouble .
and if they went wrong you would know just where to look to put it right./
and not forgeting the trusted starting handle for flat batterys and cold mornings. yours .r.r.

Sponsored Links
Memories of changing a Sprite gearbox, alone, in a field, high summer, bl##dy great three (metal) wheeled ex bus depot manual hoist .. did not move easily on meadowland.
The Sprite gearbox resides partially in a boxed in prop-shaft tunnel, so, engine and attached box OUT of older 2nd Sprite (with good 1st gear), Engine and box out of best sprite, fitted new clutch, swapped boxes ... replaced into car ok, knowing what was to come I had perched the rear wheels on some Halfords ramps .... took longer, lying under car to insert the propshaft into gearbox than removing the both units !! spider joint near box .. in tunnel, like more than arms length away, made job a lone workers nightmare, a second person would have guided propshaft into box through gear stick orifice ... Anyway, the view was splendiferous and on completion the local was just 5 mins walk away !!

Bu##er all that hassle today ... Live and learn ... Mind you i have been perusing the ads for properly renovated 970cc (oversquare, bore>stroke) Cooper 'S' as plentiful as rocking horse manure ... One day, one day.
:confused: :confused:

I currently have 2 Triumph Dolomite Sprints.... ( one is Auto/Rare/only 44 left )...... and i love old cars. I also have two new Eurobox Jelly Moulds.. that are not as much fun to drive. All these modern cars....... point and go.... at least with old cars, you drive them, they don't drive you.

I would not swap my ABS for any 'old' braking system ... Tis a good test of driving 'feel', the less it cuts in the better you have 'read' the road ... A damned excellent backstop tho' .. :D :D :D

I have great nostalgia for the cars of my youth.. But they do not compare with today's technology.... And so they should not. :p

empip said:
the less it cuts in the better you have 'read' the road

Bleedin nora, do you drive like a nutter?!?! :LOL:

I drive a car without ABS. I have had many hire-cars with ABS and on occasion thought "Let's try this out!". I've only ever had ABS come into action by my own intention whilst I've been driving, although I've been a passenger in a car a few times where it has actually been put to good use!

empip said:
I would not swap my ABS for any 'old' braking system ... Tis a good test of driving 'feel', the less it cuts in the better you have 'read' the road

No wonder there's a fuel shortage. :D

AdamW said:
empip said:
the less it cuts in the better you have 'read' the road

Bleedin nora, do you drive like a nutter?!?! :LOL:

I drive a car without ABS. I have had many hire-cars with ABS and on occasion thought "Let's try this out!". I've only ever had ABS come into action by my own intention whilst I've been driving, although I've been a passenger in a car a few times where it has actually been put to good use!

Nutter? Not at all ... Country lanes, spilled diesel, muddy roads, wet, icy roads, manhole covers ... ABS will cut in when any wheel starts to lock under braking.
Happens more than I ever imagined pre ABS... It isn't something the passengers have ever noticed, pretty subtle, just feel it through the brake pedal.
;)

masona said:
No harm what you're doing if you can afford it!

Bought a Mini Cooper a couple month ago which bought back a lot of memories for me. I had 4 mini's in my younger days and I'm having so much fun driving it again and will keep this one forever and it's a real head turner, people down my street stop me to talk about it. Like you if I can afford it and find the room to store them I would buy more!

My Mini is in my mum's gagage! I also once own a Dolomite Sprint with the normal blown head gasket problem. I don't like modern cars today although there're more comfortable now!

My late grandfather had the 2nd Morris Minor of the production line after 3yrs waitng list. Got rid of it after 8 months as he got fed up with the media follow him everywhere! I wishes he kepted it now :cry:

A BMW Cooper or the real thing? :D

Morris Marina, Allegro, Princess.... TR7, oh how the memories come flooding back, a bit like all the oil flooding out of these engineering nightmares. '70's cars, best forgotten.

empip said:
ABS will cut in when any wheel starts to lock under braking.

:eek: :eek: :eek:

I can feel wheels starting to lose grip when really pressing on around bends, but on the few occasions I've felt a wheel start to lock under braking, that's when the "oh poo" feeling washes over your body :LOL:

Therefore I try to avoid harsh braking and braking through bends.

Sponsored Links
Back