Can anyone recommend a car to carry DIY materials

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,
I'm thinking of changing my car and I was thinking about buying an estate car that can carry DIY materials. In particular I would like to carry plaster board that is 2.4m x 1.2m and chipboard that is 2.4m x .6m. What I was hoping was that I could buy and estate car where I could fit these in the back after folding the rear seats down. I've been caught out before thinking things will fit in my car when it's turned out they haven't or have only just.
Would anybody recommend something? I'm realistically looking for a car 5-10 years old and a manual diesel.
I don't really want to have put things on a roof rack but it might come to it.
Thanks
George

Sponsored Links
small vans based on the car body cannot take an 8x4 sheet you need a medium to large van so doubt you will have any luck with an estate :eek:

the old fasioned volo might be ok as they seem very long
244 i think they are called

Sponsored Links
The only car I have ever owned that would do that was a Citroen CX Safari, not many about now though. The Citroen C5 is one on the biggest estates now., a Citroen XM is even bigger but few and far between, the only alternative being the Mercedes E class estate.

Peter

Hi,

I suggest that you get any medium/large car that you like and fit roof bars and cross fittings.

Be aware that there will be a maximum load you can carry on any roof and this is usually itemised in the car's handbook.

You can get full width sheets in a 806 mpv diagonally, its only around 1.8m internal from the back of the front seats to the tailgate but with it open you only have about 1ft6 overhand. Just over 1m between the wheel arches if flat.

A passat is aparently very long from the seats to the tailgate, but you proberbly wouldnt get 4ft on the diagonal.

Otherwise, any car with a tow hitch, and a trailer. Trailers can be had for £500.

Ive just swaped from a 306 to a E36 318 compact. Very Happy.

Daniel

Most builders merchants will deliver the large goods,sometimes for a fee.its worth checking out.

I have found the large merchants have a fixed delivery cost and they will not budge so i use smaller merchants and they deliver free for £100.00 + of goods or a nominal charge of £5.00 if below (10 mile distance).

Good luck.

I prefer the volvo v40 for carrying loads, takes over 3m timbers internally and the smaller 900 x 1800 plasterboard in whole sheets. Roof rack is easy height for loading 8X4 sheets.Moved a washing machine and tumble dryer at the same time and a full height F/Freezer also fitted. Cheap to buy the older models and very reliable.

Old Fiat Panda :eek: yep . I had one with all the interior ripped out - it was a one seat skip - Once I got a 3m crittall staging in it - the hire shop guy couldn`t believe it :LOL: And about a cubic yard of c-rap or rubble @ other times ;)

The W210 chassis Mercedes E class is as cavernous an estate a person could get. This is the 1996/7 to 2003/4 model. They were prone to rust though and while not Mercedes's best they are ok. Mostly auto's of course but you may be able to find a 2000> 220 CDI diesel

Ford S-Max or Galaxy , lovely car in all respects

Sponsored Links
Back