The dreaded DPF on diesel cars from 2008 and have they improved?

The DPF has to be there, MOT wise.....or at least the box has to be :evil: Who knows if its empty or not......'it must have just regenerated, guv' :cool:
John :)

Sponsored Links
Would a new Citroen or similar diesel use Adblue and EOLYS fluid?

Yes, PSA cars still use both. They do different jobs. Eolys is supposed to help with the periodic regeneration of the DPF. AdBlue is used to reduced emissions of the oxides of nitrogen. A few small Euro 6 engines might have ben able to get away without AdBlue but I think pretty much all of them will use it now.

Jeez, a Peugeot diesel is in the mini diesel, wouldn't it be great to find out how many manufacturer's use the pug diesels?

As far as I'm aware, the small Peugeot diesels (1.6) are actually FORD engines! The other side of that collaboration is that Ford use the larger Peugeot diesel engines.

Lots of manufacturers share far more than you'd think these days, as it's just so expensive to develop these things.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Duratorq_engine

Sponsored Links
Don't know why people worry about dpf, just get rid of it.

My local garage gets rid of the filter and reprog the ecu, they do loads and they all pass their MOT's, cost is between £450 to £650, last sat he says they crammed in 4 BMW's, even showed me the sooted up filter then all you need to worry about is the turbo, DMF/clutch, injectors, fuel pump and the egr.
They worry about them because they're trying to do the right thing with air quality. Each year we kill about 10 times more people prematurely, simply by DRIVING our cars than we do by running them over! The problem is worse in large cities and areas of high traffic density. Air quality in cities ought to be FAR better than it is, but we've ended up in a vicious circle where because people disable a variety of emissions control devices, (and of course, the flawed test protocols and cheating by VW doesn't help!), air quality doesn't improve in line with expectations, so the EU regulations get tightened-up, so we get even more cost and complexity on our cars, so we disable even more emissions control stuff... and so it goes on.

I have a Peugeot 406 hdi estate, which for the money (£1200) is probably one of the greatest cars on the planet, I've had the EGR blanked off and life is good. BUT that beautiful vehicle that never goes wrong and gives me 42mpg round town won't last forever and currently buying a diesel with a DPF is basically a gamble.............get another 20mpg but expect to pay £1500+ in a few years having the DPF fixed!...................unless you clever lads can say 'the original DPF's were useless, but the latest ones are perfect and are trouble free even on short journeys'

No, they're not perfect, but as ironsidebod says, the regeneration process has been improved over the last few years and they're certainly "better" but not perfect. You certainly don't need to do a motorway run every week though. On most cars, provided the engine is up to temperature and you can do a continuous 15-20 minutes at a constant 40 or more at some point each week, you should be fine. We sell several hundred diesels (of various makes) to taxi drivers each year and DPF problems are rare - despite them being used mainly in urban environments.

They are using emmisions controls to suppress any & all progress with increased mpg.

What YOU want is a vehicle that does 100+mpg.

What THEY want is a vehicle that pays £xx.xx per mpg of taxable revenue.

Wake up will ya.

If that's true, why are "they" offering such big incentives for electric vehicles?

Could we conclude that the Peugeot diesels may not be as troublesome because their DPF's get fed with those fluids?

Not sure really. Subjectively, I think they probably ARE a bit better, but I'd struggle to back that up with any hard figures!

We need someone to test a Focus with a 1.6 diesel and one with the 1 litre petrol engine that produces around the same power and report on which is nicer to drive. I don't want a car you have to rev the nuts off, I prefer a torquey lazy diesel.

That's the problem really. The 1 litre Ecobost engine is phenomenal, but people I've spoken to tend to say things along the lines of "it's better than you'd think" (...for such a small engine). As the yanks say, "there ain't no subtitute for cubic inches"!

Yes , a Ford Focus with a V8 . That's what we need.

Sadly hardly anyone sells V8's anymore....I might even buy a Focus if there was a V8 version.

All diesels are essentially **** just like all modern boilers are ****.....just in varying degrees. My work van does loads of small journeys in a day...luckily Ford will have to deal with the inevitable DPF issues....I will just have to deal with the days of not having a van to work with.

I notice that GPO vans have the engine stop system activated these days.....at my place, the vans stop / start 5 times in 100 metres.
I wonder how long these will last!
John :)

I have a small problem.
Our 2010 Euro4 probably, diesel Note does a near enough true 55 mpg brim to brim from 6 months data !! miles / fuel.
55 mpg = 12.1 miles per Litre = 0.083 L / mile or 83CC = containable in a box with 4.36 cm length of side... pretty small.
The average speed was an eye opener - 23 mph - so a fair bit of town running.

Makes you wonder about how much burn residue there actually is.

See the proliferation of farming video logs on YouTube - pulling a 7 furrow plough using 40-45 litres an hour !! Trucking VLogs 7 or 8 MPG and more.

Don't forget the experts - 2007 financial disaster, Brexit, Trump - how many other fiascos waiting for someone to actually get beyond the lawyer backed talk ?

-0-

Sponsored Links
Back