Can anyone recommend a good cheap car.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm getting to the end of my tether with my Citroen Xantia.
One problem after the other. :evil:

I'm looking to replace it soon, but we're on a limited budget.
Can anyone recommend a cheap basic, reliable family car ?
I still have great affection for the Vauxhall Cavalier. I used to own a Mk3 & 4. Are there any pitfalls to watch out for with those nowadays?
Also the Ford Focus comes to mind.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
The Focus is an excellent car, millions about, too. (I've just bought a 51 plate zetec, 40k miles for £1700 for someone).
The Cavalier has long gone, but the Vectra's generally ok too, as is the Mondeo ( my preference over the Vectra).
I have to say, avoid the Primera due to timing chain problems. Some good Octavia's around also - in fact this is the one I'd search for.
John :)

I have to say, I've had a few Primeras and none of them had any timing chain problems. Also having scrapped hundreds of them, none of them were scrapped because of the timing chain.

You cant go wrong with the VW audi group cars as mentioned the Octavia is a good buy.

I have a MK3 golf and had it for years,I only replace wear and tear service items.

Sponsored Links
I have to say, I've had a few Primeras and none of them had any timing chain problems. Also having scrapped hundreds of them, none of them were scrapped because of the timing chain.

I agree, the earlier ones were very good....it seems to be a problem with the 02 plate models.
John :)

The most reliable and durable cars were the ones made in the mid '90s and they are cheaper to repair. The Xantia is a good car if you can repair it yourself, the diesels can be good for well over 200,000 miles with out serious prolems which is more than can be said for a modern car. A good simple but comfortabl and economical car is the Peugeot 405, the diesels again being the best, 406s are also good but have the disadvantage of electronic fuel injection, still cheap to repair though by modern standards.

Back