1. Visiting from the US? Why not try DIYnot.US instead? Click here to continue to DIYnot.US.
    Dismiss Notice

Casement window plastic hinge cracked

Discussion in 'Windows and Doors' started by Friday round, 6 Oct 2021.

1. Friday round

Friday round

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Hi all

The casement window I have doesn’t close completely on the lower hinge leaving a 1 cm gap between the seal. I called a reputable company in SE London to fix it and they said I’m looking at £145 to fix any mechanical issues. I think normally when closing, two plastic hinge butts connect and levers to seal the window. The upper corner closes ok. It seems to be a plastic piece that’s split in the image attached. Seems like bad design as the same spot is thinner than the other areas on that side but it is where it meets the receiving plastic part on the frame. Is this the problem? Is it a simple part that can be sourced and swapped?

Attached Files:

2. ronniecabers

ronniecabers

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Standard window hinge ( friction stay in the industry ). It's quite common to have this issue of not closing on the hinge side on older hinges...just wear and tear. Fairly easy job if you know what you are doing lol

3. Sponsored Links
  4. Friday round

Friday round

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    I did t understand. The whole friction stay units have to be changed out and I have to change both top and bottom ones or can I find the plastic part that’s broken and replace it?

5. ronniecabers

ronniecabers

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    It will need to be a replacement pair of hinges ( friction stays)

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  6. Sponsored Links
  7. Friday round

Friday round

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Thank you. I’ve ordered a new pair of 16” friction stays. Seems a waste of metal though.