Cast Iron fireplace - pitted, how to remove

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Going to spruce up one of the original victorian fireplaces in our house with blackener, but was looking for some advice first....

The bottom section (approx level with where the flames would normally be) is fairly pitted/corroded - there are no visible signs of rust below coming through the existing black coating, but it looks like this may have happened in the past. Should I be trying to get this back to smooth prior to repainting? And if so, with what?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
It's probably particles of free carbon that has burnt away in the past......do you intend to use the fireplace?
John :)

yes, am going to get it working again hopefully. the areas i am concerned about look like depressions where its seemingly (?) corroded away - maybe i need to adda pic when i get home later (y)

Sponsored Links
Being a crude cast iron, it's actually the surface that has burnt away in places. I don't think you'll get anywhere trying to fill the indentations - maybe just call it 'character'!
John :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back