Cast Iron Gutter Clips - Where To Buy From

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am looking for some clips to further strengthen my cast iron gutters

I popped into toolstation / selco / screwfix and wickes and a few others. They all sell similar clips which do not allow you to add clips to an existing gutter but require you to remove the gutter and then add clips and then replace the gutter.

That might be an option for plastic gutters but I cannot take down my existing gutter and want to add some brackets.

The clips that they sell

http://www.toolstation.com/shop/Roofing+Drainage/112mm+Half+Round/d250/sd2688

do not have enough clearance to be able to screw them in once they are clipped on and are impossible to use. The gutter covers the screw holes in the clip

Does anyone know where I can get clips for cast iron gutters from or whether I can buy clips which have the screws in at the bottom rather then the top

Sponsored Links
Assuming you are referring to half-round guttering, I think you will struggle to find any suitable bracket to effectively support cast iron gutters that can be fitted with the gutter in situ. The weight of these gutters would soon overpower any bracket which only has a bottom fixing (if such a bracket existed). Half-round Cast iron gutters do not use 'clips' but open brackets into which the gutter rests, the weight being sufficient to stop it moving.

Why do you need to add more brackets? If due to sagging gutters is the problem more attributable to the poor condition of the fascia boards on which they are mounted? In which case more brackets would not solve the problem. If the existing brackets are in poor, rusty condition then the only solution would be to remove the gutter to fit new brackets - not really a practical solution.

If you need a temporary solution you could just drive some 6" nails in under the gutters while you consider a more full-on gutter/fascia replacement.

Hi

Yes I am referring to the half round gutter types.

Some of the clips have rusted away - Are there really no selers of the clipse?

Seems odd to me if that was the case

Yes there are plenty of places that will supply the brackets - they are not clips - but they all require removal of the gutter to enable them to be fitted.

Google 'cast iron gutters'.

Sponsored Links
Think you may find that steel brackets as in your link will bend. Cast is extremely heavy, and it's vital it is adequately supported, I wouldnt want to rely on those steel brackets to support it....

It really needs the correct brackets IMO, should it fall it could kill anyone who had the misfortune to be underneath at the time.... :eek:

Think you may find that steel brackets as in your link will bend. Cast is extremely heavy, and it's vital it is adequately supported, I wouldnt want to rely on those steel brackets to support it....

It really needs the correct brackets IMO, should it fall it could kill anyone who had the misfortune to be underneath at the time.... :eek:

I would tend to agree as it will only be possible to fix these brackets close to the bottom of the fascia (assuming approx 6" wooden fascia being the norm) and the weight is likely to tear the screws out of the timber. The brackets themselves are ok - I have used them in other applications and they are reasonably strong. However, it strikes to me that if the original brackets have 'let go' then the wooden fascia boards are probably not far behind, so heavy gutters + rotten timber .... it's only a matter of time.

I have had a couple of near misses in my time tweaking old cast iron guttering, make sure there is nobody underneath when you are working. I would recommend scaffolding.

Use These.

You dont need to take the gutter down though you do need to remove some roof tiles or slates to get them in.

Google cast iron gutter repair brackets - there`s a few come up - and if the bottom of your fascia is sound they`ll screw in alright ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back