Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Can anyone recommend a good way/product to plug leaks in cast iron
guttering. I have tried lots so am really looking for somethinig different

Thanks

Sponsored Links
What type of cast gutter you got mr Hamlet?

Post a pic if you can.

Sponsored Links
then u grind it off ive done it 1000 times before

Sparks and old birds nests !! Thing is, it could be smouldering away for quite a while before the roof goes up. Hammer and a 2" chissel is what i've always used,not for repairing mind,just when taking them down to replace with plastic.

It's plastic that's bad. Doesn't matter what it looks like. It's just an awful material compared to cast.

In terms of collecting rainwater and putting it a soakaway, i'd say plastic does a fairly good job.

It is also easy to work on, bits can be replaced and it requires little maintenance.

However, it does fade and is nowhere near as robust a iron.

Iron guttering requires a fair bit of maintenance, that in all honesty, rules it out of 98% of all homes. There are not many people who would chose a roof product that needs annual care. They are more likely to opt for say 10 year replacement of plastic.

There is a plastic gutter available that mimics iron. Looks ok - ish.

Thing is, the OP never mentioned that it was leaking at the join(s) - given that it's typically leaking at the join, but it could be that it's a split length.

No need for a householder to use power tools up a ladder. The bolt/nut can usually be mini-hack sawed off. Tie the ladder in, and have someone foot the ladder.

The householder has time to break the join, clean it out, and apply a lick of gloss to both "sides" of the join. Allow to go tacky, and then lay a bed of putty in it. Bolt up with new bolts and nuts.

Working on CI guttering can be hazardous for a DIY'er - unexpectedly heavy lengths of guttering, rotten lengths collapsing, and perhaps ladder stand-offs required. Or even two workers up two ladders.

I went to look at customers leaky cast iron guttering, and I hardly touched it and about 10metres just dropped. Can be very unpredictable and dangerous old cast.

Thanks for comments

I have been quoted for replacement but it was way too much, also the guttering is fairly good (I have painted). Leak is at a joint in the cast iron and also where it joins my neighbours 'plastic' gutter. I have tried a few companies to get fixed but no one seems interested in trying to fix. I am not looking for 10 year gaurantees or anything just stop it dripping on to roughcast and potentially soaking into the wall. Any takers?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back