Cast Iron soil pipe - WC Waste Connector - (pic)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

At the weekend i'm suppose to be fitting a wall hung toilet to replace the old one. I think i may have a huge problem with the existing soil pipe in the bathroom.

Once i fit the wall hung and cistern the existing soil pipe projects really far out and i don't think i will be able to buy any type of connector to join it smoothly as it is

this is the exisiting cast iron pipe - what is that huge bulge ? it narrows again after that. it's all cast iron outside as well.

bog-1.jpg

at the moment that is connected to the new toilet , but it's only sitting on the floor at the moment , as i accidentally put a hammer through the old one a bit ahead of time :)

it will be raised up quite a bit , once the wall hung pan is in it's correct location i think i'll have probs with the waste connector , beacuse it will be almost directly above that pipe and a bit less distance out ...hope this makes sense.

can it be cut ? it's close to the wall but i might get a grinder in there ?

bog-2.jpg

any suggestions or possible fittings i could buy ?

Sponsored Links
You're on the right lines.
What's the vertical offset?
The bulge is a "socket" full of very hard cement. If you drill it with a diy-type hammer drill you'll be able to break the cement out in lumps.

If all else fails you replace a section or all the outside pipe with plastic, which isn't as hard as it sounds.

Thanks ChrisR ,

Is that socket joining the 2 pipe sections then ? and if i remove it will it give me some more room ?

Replacing the whole stack might not be so easy on my house. That soil pipe dissappears into a roof area on 1930's small kitchen extension , the kitchen below sticks out about 4 ft from the rest of the house , it exits from the side of the roof and i'd have to strip off the roofing to get to some of it.

have i got any hope of removing that join without breaking the rest ?, that would be a disaster for me :)

i've already smashed the bog 4 days early and the wife was horrified !! :)

Check the offset and the angle of the cast iron soil pipe in relation to the new pan. It looks like the existing pipe may have quite a lot of fall on it.

Multikwik (among others) make a range of pan connectors and extensions to cater for offsets of up to 100mm
http://www.multikwik.com/wcconnectors.php

if you can clean the cement out the existing socket, you may find a pan connector will fit inside the socket with a bit of room to spare.

The tricky part, whether you remove the socket or not will probably be cleaning up the bore of the cast iron enough for a pan connector to seal and to avoid tearing the fins when you fit it.

Depending on the toolkit and elbow room you have available, cutting the socket off with a hacksaw (18TPI blade plus a large tub of elbow grease :) ) is possible.
Others may recommend saving on the elbow grease by using an angle grinder.

Sponsored Links
Great stuff , thanks

I might take the elbow grease route , i've got 2 grinders 4" and 9" but it's close to the wall , so might not get in nicley

I'll go and measure the offset and post later..

cheers !

Easy to cut off with a small angle grinder, though you fill the area with iron dust.
What you have is
Soilpipe1.gif

and you can cut it off anywhere from the dotted line backwards.

Thats excellent chris , now i can see what it's all about.

I think i'll cut that off as it will give me more options for fittings , i'm wondering if a flexi will do the job ?

You can do the blue cuts with a reciprocating, jig, or hack saw, the green ones with the angle grinder. Small bridges of cast iron snap easily.
Cutingasoilpipe2.jpg

Cheers Chris , just popped out and bought a reciprocating saw ready for the job on saturday , a useful tool anyway so it's all good.

I'm sure there will be tons of curseing , swearing and foot stomping :) , but i'll get the job done !

I'll post back and let you all know

Thanks for all the help ..invaluable to me

TicklyT said:
If it does, you've cut into an air conditioning duct by mistake :p

LOL :) let me re-phrase that .....

"I'll find out if the s**t hits the reciprocating blade on saturday" ;)

SUCCESS !! :LOL: :LOL:

4" Grinder did the job nicely in the end (had to take the guard off)

Cheers guys

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back